Saturday, September 19, 2009

Chunky Chicken Noodle Soup and Naps

Jace requested soup for breakfast today. His favorite is the Chunky Chicken Noodle. After a rocky morning with an upset tummy, it seemed to soothe his body. We also ventured out of the house to attend (from a distance) Hayden's Grid Kid Football game. The field on which he was playing made it possible for us to park next to the game and view it from the safety of our own vehicle. It was good to feel the sunshine! I thought it would be difficult for Jace to stay in the pick-up, but he didn't feel well enough to play anyway. He looks good, but he's not our lively, run around the field kid. Lots of family members were supportive by putting their chairs in front of our vehicle and gathering in the general area as us so Jace didn't feel ostracized. Hayden played well and even scored a touchdown. Go Cats! It was so nice to be able to watch him. (Thanks Hayden's team for the cheer! It made Jace's day.)

We are trying to carry on a normal life for Hayden so he doesn't end up resenting his little brother or feeling unimportant (though I doubt Hayden would), and as many of you know, a typical Saturday afternoon for the Leathams is spent in the mountains on horses. So, since it's been a few weeks, the crew packed up (minus Jace) and hit the trail. We didn't tell Jace they were riding, and I don't feel badly for misleading him about "Daddy and Hayd doing yard work at Grandpa's."

From previous rides:





























Today, Jace ate more Chunky Chicken Noodle soup for lunch (his choice), and he and I both napped. Tonight as I reflect on our day, I am grateful that even though he didn't get to go riding, he was with me. Deep in the back of my mind I get fixated on an ugly number. As a mom experiencing some very emotional issues now, let me tell you how uncomfortable the words 90% curable are perceived. I can do the math. It's awesome. It's incredible-- but the reality is, 90% isn't enough. Another uncomfortable comment is, "He's going to make it-" because no matter how you say it, the implication is there is an alternative.

Jace continues to caress my neck and arms when I hold him. Today he started to occasionally motion for things instead of talk, because his jaw aches (we were told he would have bone aches). I'm praying for his continued strength to enjoy a few small things he loves so much, like pumping his new Nerf gun and shooting the male guests who come to see him, and of course squirting the syringes. Today he cried that he is finished with football for the year. With a confident, smiling face I assured him there will be football in his future, and I asked him to just focus on feeling well today. Six days down. We can do it.

10 comments:

  1. You can do it!! You are so strong little buddy!! It was so fun to see you guys yesterday! When Jace sat next to me on the couch when I was showing him those pictures on my facebook he would cuddle up to me and rub my arm to! He is so sweet!! I hardly knew him before this but he will always and always be someone special in my life from now on! You guys have had such an impact on my life (in a good way!:) I cried for an hour after I left yesterday because I wish there was something I could do to help! But I continue to pray for your family everyday! I wish you the best at the hospital tomorrow! Stay strong! Keep us posted! Love you all tons!
    ~Chelsea

    ReplyDelete
  2. Willy and I are thinking of you all of the time. As a Mom I have thought about you over and over and though I know I don't know what you are going thru I feel some of your pain. I wish I had words to make it better but I don't. All I can say is I love you and your family and will continue to do all I can to help you weather it is prayer or fast or chores or running in a race, anything I can. You are always in our thoughts.

    With Love, Brittney

    ReplyDelete
  3. You CAN do it! You all can do it. But, Amy...I have to say that I ache for you all. I cry every day because I am constantly thinking of you.Remember 90% is good odds. And yes, 6 Big days down. You can do this. Lots of love!!! Stacie

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember when Mikael was small and I was feeling very overwhelmed with doctors visits, therapies and just knowing that everything was different, someone said to me, "You don't have to do everyday at once, finish today and then move to tomorrow." We continued to set goals and look forward, BUT I concentrated on one day at a time. Focus on today!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amy,
    Jace has become such a household name that my little Lilly is taliking to Jace right now on her pretend telephone. Telling him that we see his pictures and hope he gets better. We are always thinking of you and your family. And Jace, I'm wondering if you've ever played Uno Attack? We love that game at our house. Try it out. We'll even bring you ours if you want. And keep singing those Primary Songs. They will help you feel the peace you need during those tough times.
    Love
    The Hodges

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just wanted to share: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UbsU3b2srQA

    HOPE...xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Guys,
    It is Paul's sister and I just wanted to let you all know that we are thinking of you. Even though we don't know you well you have become a common topic of concern here for all of us. We want you to know that we are praying for you and cheering you on! PLEASE, let us know if there is anything at all that we can do to help! Keep up the good work. You are an inspiration to all!
    The Spauldings

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey! We're following your blog, and we think your family is awesome! We love you guys and you are in our prayers.
    Love,
    John Juli Dennis and Kids

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jace-
    We are very proud of you. You may not know Dan and I very well but we sure know you. Ever since we moved to the ward and I had a special place in my heart for that cute boy who LOVES sports!! You remind me so much of my older brother (who I love dearly). He couldn't get enough of baseball and football. He grew up to play first base college baseball. You are such a tough kid. I have watched you in primary and admired your knowledge of the gospel.
    Your in my thoughts Jace- You're mom is a lucky lady to have you around. Give her a hug for me.
    See ya IRON MAN!!!! :)
    -Macie Robison

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey Amy,
    As you can tell, most times I write a few lines in the quiet hours of the late night. Sometimes I have problems sleeping and reading this blog helps to put my mind at ease and think good thoughts and shed a few tears without having to explain to anyone. I got asked today what my new bracelet said or was for and was very glad to be able to share about Jace and your family. I didn't have to go into details but just said it's a reminder of our friends who's little guy has Leukemia and they said oh yeah, I heard about that. Your sweet family is on the mind and hearts of so many people. May you have a good night and may the Lord bless you with extra strength and endurance as you face this upcoming week.
    Love you lots, Erin :o)

    ReplyDelete