I talked Jace into letting me take a picture of his long hair (on the condition that he didn't have to smile). Right before he went into the hospital, he was due for a haircut. Now, 2 ½ weeks later we still haven’t trimmed it. We were told he might start losing his hair anywhere from 2 weeks to 1 month. He’s getting more used to the idea of not having hair, but I think secretly he hopes he will keep his mop. All I know is that despite the way his life has changed, Jace is still so sweet. When I kiss his forehead and tell him he’s a good boy, he always responds, “You are a good mom.” He’s starting a calming habit while he sits next to me of putting my hair behind my ears over and over. He also catches my eye as I walk by him and says, “Love you.” It’s amazing how he perceives my hurt. I try so hard to guard him from my fear, but even though we don’t speak of it, he knows. He will tell me things like, “I’m really ok, mom,” and “Don’t worry! I’m fine.”
Last night while Matt stayed with Jace, I met with some friends to discuss basketball season for Hayden. It was so nice to be in a comfortable room with adults who genuinely have the same interests and goals for our children. We drifted into a conversation about how the little people in our world are all so perceptive and in tune with the spirit. Today I’m grateful for the opportunity I have to be home with this spiritual giant named Jace. He is lifting my heart and making it possible for me to smile. His puffy hands just finished gluing his art project together. He said, “My arms need a break,” so we are taking it. In a while we are going to bundle up and walk outside. The sweet moisture in the air has settled the dust, and he will be able to walk without his mask. Rain sweet rain.
Homework (Plato) on the computer- with a heated "rice baby" on his aching wrist.


Hey Leatham family.....
ReplyDeleteHope you have a great day today.... Jace enjoy the walk in the rain... :) I can't wait till I am done walking in the rain for the day! I have been walking to classes all morning in the rain! :D Glad you are gettin some homework done as well! Tell Hayd good luck tonight.... I am going to try to make it out there if I get off work in time... It's the best field ever!!! :D haha.... Love you guys.... Talk to you soon!
Kort
Looking at your pictures this morning, all I could think was, "Man I love that kid." Then I got a little teary, blame it on coconut :), and I was trying to not miss you so much.
ReplyDeleteLaura
hey jace! this is hank! just thinking about you buddy! just wanted to tell you that you are the man! love you buddy! keep your head up and keep up the fight! your a stud! and your hair in that picture is awesome! ha ha!
ReplyDeleteHi Jace,
ReplyDeleteThis is Austen's mom and I just wanted to tell you we have a picture of Austen with his hair sticking up too, his sister made him do it. He looks back on it now and it makes him laugh.
I also wanted to tell you the 1st graders all signed a shirt that I need to get to you. I am worried about passing germs so someday we'll get it to you.(hopefully something to look forward to)Enjoy your time with your mom! You are missed at school! Take Care!
Austen's Mom
Jace this is Eli, I'm headed to go shoot a big elk, I'll bring it by for you to see. Like Hank said, you ARE the man. Keep on keepin on! And I actually can't wait for you lose your hair because THEN your hair will look AWESOME. : )
ReplyDelete-Eli
P.S. Hair is WAY overrated!
We will keep praying for RAIN and Jace!
ReplyDeleteHi Jace,
ReplyDeleteHey remember you are COOL AND TUFF, and Eli is just oooold and baaald!
We should have a "shaving of the heads party" on your front lawn, so you can watch and maybe practice your water squirting skills from the front porch!! Whadda ya think!
Keep fightin' Ironman, we love you!
Johnnie, Bob and the Wild Bunch
Hey Jace,
ReplyDeleteYou are one cool little kid. You don't know me but your mom was my teacher in high school about 10 years ago. I am pretty sure I was a pain in her butt, but I love her so much. Give your mom a big hug for me. You have a great family. Keep on Fightin'!
Love-Sherri
Hi, I don't know you and you don't know me but I've been following your story since it was on the news. I have 3 special kids with one more on the way and I just am so inspired by your little guy. My oldest, Jordan (7), is the same way Jace is. It never ceases to amaze me how he just knows how I feel and how to make it better. Don't you just feel so in debt to our Heavenly Father for blessing us with such wonderful and precious spirits? I thank my Father in Heaven every night for allowing me to be in my son's life. They are for sure the chosen ones. I pray every night and day for your little family. I hope that you beat this ugly monster and can soon have your life back. May you continue to be blessed by our Gracious Heavenly Father. Much love to you and yours.
ReplyDeleteMy boys are so excited for the "shaving heads party!!!!!" Heck, I hate my hair so maybe I'll join! You're such a sweetheart Jace!!! I loves ya! Aunt Natalie
ReplyDeleteJace, that is some good looking hair man! I read something last night that touched me so I wanted to share it with you guys. You may have heard it before, but it is an account from President Eyring about his father. His father had bone cancer and was slowly withering away and was often in excruciating pain. Here is the excerpt from President Eyring's book "To Draw Closer to God."
ReplyDelete"One night when I was not with him (his father) and the pain seemed more than he could bear, he somehow got out of bed and on his knees beside it - I know not how. He pled with God to know why he was suffering so. And the next morning he said, with quiet firmness, 'I know why now. God needs brave sons.'"
You are a very brave son Jace, and Matt and Amy, you must be a very brave son and daughter of a loving Heavenly Father as well. Keep battling - you are in our prayers. Rylan Ricks
Hey Jace, I've been reading the wonderful blog your mom has written. You have wonderful parents. I grew up with your mom and her brothers out in Hibbard. You've got a wonderful family and I'm sure they love you dearly.
ReplyDeleteI read a bit of your story at Rexburbia.com and I see that you are being called Rexburg's Warrior. I think that's a perfect super hero name. Keep up the fight!
Thank you for being so brave. You and your parents are an inspiration for all of us. The "Rexburg Warrior" and his family will definately be in our prayers.
Tyson F.
Hey Guys,
ReplyDeleteI recently read a series about children with different kinds of diseases. In it there was a young girl with cancer and one of the patients who she met at the hospital told her that she needed to draw a picture of some kind of super hero and tape it to the wall by her bed. Then when she felt sick and was having a fever, she was to mentally imagine that the super hero was inside her blood stream, killing off all the bad cells. It was not a true story, but I know that positive thinking is a big thing in the healing process. It might be something you want to try. Of course in the story, it worked. Our thoughts and prayers are with your family. Lots of Love, The Munns'
Me and Liz Orr would just talking about you and your family last night and how much we love you all. I read your blog daily and it amazes me how strong little Jace is, he is such a handsome little guy! I remember back in the day when you would bring your hadsome little boys to cheer practice.. Time sure does fly! You have done SUCH a great job at raising 2 great young boys and you'll always be my favorite cheer coach and teacher!
ReplyDeleteLove always
Roz
Dillons hair is long too. He said he was waiting because he wanted to get a "no-hair cut" if you started to loose yours. Dillon was been doing sit ups at nights so he can wrestle with you and Hayden again. Stay strong and you are in our prayers.
ReplyDeleteThe Cheneys
Wow Jace your hair is long!! You're such a cute kid you look great with your hair long but you'll be cute if it is gone too. I'm glad that you are such a spiritual giant for your mom and for all the rest of us. Thanks for helping us to be strong Jace.
ReplyDelete