Sunday, September 13, 2009

THANK YOU!

Matt and I found ourselves awake and silently watching Jace breath this morning at 4 AM. The longer we sat there, the sadder we became, so we decided to refocus and open the laptop. Together we read every comment on our blog and facebook, and because our dear Jace wasn't awake we allowed the tears to flow again. I'm not sure I can express what your support is doing for us. Although we have so many comments collectively, EACH message and heartfelt prayer offered in behalf of our family is fuel for our well-being. PLEASE understand we don't have the emotional strength to respond to your texts, calls, and messages, but we are reading, seeing, and feeling your love. When we are in Jace's presence, we smile, laugh and joke-- and because neither of us are leaving his side, we find it hard to talk on the phone or email. I know you understand.

Last night after Jace helped me write his message, we put the computer away for a while. After our room cleared of guests, Jace found himself in tears of pain from the surgery and the "port." In an effort to distract his tears, we opened the blog to read. One after another we read the messages together. We indeed feel loved.

This morning I organized our 20'X 30' room and found 10 gift bags full of crayons, markers, coloring books, footballs, treats, cards, gum, magazines, and toys. These all came within the first 24 hours of our stay. I'm overwhelmed by your love-- All of you: Those here, those at home, those who are commenting, and even those of you who are following our story quietly. Most importantly, I'm overwhelmed by the feelings of comfort we are getting from your prayers.

In the quiet of the night Jace was sad. We sang Primary songs together as I held his hands and rubbed his arms: My Eternal Family, I Am a Child of God, I Love to See the Temple, A Child's Prayer, Love is Spoken Here. When I came to the words at the end of the last song, Jace was falling asleep. I whispered in his ear, "I can often feel the Savior near..." and then I paused... because I could...I could feel the Savior in our room...and then I knew that He had just helped Jace fall asleep.

40 comments:

  1. As I sit and read this last post, I keep watching the counter on the sidebar rise. Jace, you must be one special kiddo to have so many people checking on you this early in the morning. I will come sing primary songs to you too, but I'm sure your mom is MUCH better at it. LOL!! Hang in there!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We don't know what to say except you are in our hearts, thoughts and prayers. Not just you guys but your whole family on both sides. If there and ANYTHING we can do for ANYONE please let us know!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow Jace, You are one tough boy. No wonder they call you the ironman. Your family is in our constant thoughts and prayers. We love your family and our hearts go out to you at this time. Sheila and Shari Gummow

    ReplyDelete
  4. God bless you my friend. You don't know how much this story has shaken me to the core. Jace you come from a family of fighters you are going to win this stupid thing. I don't know why you are being asked to go through this but I'm praying and have faith you will win it. You are a new found hero, keep going you are not alone, God bless you for your great strength of character and faith. You are from one of the greatest families I have ever known and you are going to pull through this with them at your side, and you and they will be the better for it. Good luck with what lies ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We were thinking of your whole family as we met this morning. We love you and we pray for you often. Go Ironman!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Go Jace, you can do it!
    -Zac Bell
    We are all praying for you.
    -Susan Bell

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow what can we say. How quickly our worlds can be turned upside down. We know how tuff all of you are and the strength Jace has! He's a Leatham crossed with a Grover! The kid is going to be a sports star no matter what! It's just a temporary set back in our minds. Hang in there guys. Know that your in our hearts and prayers. Let us know if we can help in any way. Love you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Jace,
    I am sad that you got sick. I miss you at school. I hope you can get better and come back soon. You are a nice friend. I am glad I could meet you and sit by you at school. You are really nice and smart. Get better soon. Love, Josten Judkins :0)

    P.S. I lost my first two teeth Thursday!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear Leathams,
    Our prayers are with you. Keep singing those Primary songs. They are the best aren't they! Maybe someone already did this, but we'll be sure your names are in the temple. Lots of love, Joel and Lisa Judkins family.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Prayers and Hugs from all the Rammell family!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I check every couple of hours just to see how you are doing! I too read the comments that are posted when I post and am amazed at how many people support and love you! You are a great family and we are lifted up by your examples! Thanks for keeping us in the loop! You are in our thoughts and prayers!
    The Rydalch's

    ReplyDelete
  12. We just heard about your sweet little guy. Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. He looks like a tough kid we are rooting for him. Hang in there!! Chris and Charity Kunz

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ok the people that love Jace just passed the 500 mark. Just for your information, Luke, Emily, Krew, and Brynlee love you the most! Haha! Get feeling better and we can't wait to see you!

    ReplyDelete
  14. We just heard the news today, and wanted to let you know that you are also in our thoughts prayers. Amy, let me know if you or your dad need a sub. I haven't been subbing lately because of the new baby, but for you guys I will make an exception. Love, Brent and Nicole Mackey

    ReplyDelete
  15. We also want to let you know how much Jace has touched our hearts. We send our love and prayers to him and the family.
    Shane and Nicole Seeley

    ReplyDelete
  16. Dear Jace,
    I hope you get feeling better. I was wondering why I hadn't seen you at school. I miss seeing you at school. Thanks for being a good friend.
    See you soon Dude!
    Love, Austen Merrell

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hey Jace and Family -- All your Primary friends are thinking of you and sending you their love and prayers. We know you can beat this! You are one tough kid!

    If you need us to do anything, let us know. I'm sure Sam would be happy to pick up your homework Hayden!

    We love you and are praying for you all!

    The Nate Family

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hey Jace and Family,
    We at the Perkes house are praying for you all! Jace, I thought this morning about your sweet face, and how much I loved talking with you this summer at the ballgames. I hope you feel all the love that is being sent your way! We will be following your blog and praying for you. Matt and Amy, we love you guys. Love, Lynn Paige Tanner and Ryan

    ReplyDelete
  19. Jace,
    Hey dude hang in there! We are praying for you
    Brady Clements

    ReplyDelete
  20. Matt, Amy & Jace,
    Hey there kiddo...you know when you left school during lunch the other day I was afraid it was because of the "school lunch" :)
    I look forward to seeing your smiling face back there as soon as you can ! The lunch lady misses ya.
    Sorry you have to go through all this. In primary today they shared the primary song story. This brought back my own memories of Primary Children's...staying with Bridger(5mos old)he also had a central line and many other things...when he was restless it was primary songs like "I Am a Child of God" & "Families Can Be Together Forever" that calmed him as well. THE POWER OF THESE SONGS....WOW !!
    You are ALL stronger than you think...hang in there! Know that this household is praying for you and thinking of you often. Thanks for sharing this blog. WE love you.
    Bart, Tami, Tyler, Brandon, Brady, Tanner & Telsie Clements

    ReplyDelete
  21. Amy, my heart aches for you and Matt. You will be in our hearts and our prayers!! Good luck in the days to come. -Gabe and Amy Brizzee

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hey I also wanted to tell you that my heart goes out to you and all your family. You are in my constant prayers. I know prayer is a very powerful thing. I'm glad you have this blog that can help keep people updated. (I hope it is ok that Butch gave it to me) Heather Lamph Zentner

    ReplyDelete
  23. Dear Matt, Amy and Jace,
    We were on our way to Utah on Friday afternoon when you guys passed us. We said hey there are the Leatham's. They must be going to Utah for the weekend. Then, on Sunday we heard why you were going to Utah. We want you to know that our thoughts and prayers are with all of you at this trying time. I believe our Heavenly Father will watch over you and give you the strength to get thru this. You are a wonderful family and we think the world of you. If we can help in any way, please let us. Love to you all! John and Jana Poulsen

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hey this is Jaxon Edelmayer! I want you to tell Jace to get better and Hayden that I am thinking about him. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hey little man, just checkin in on you again. I think I have checked this thing at least ten times today. I even skipped out on a little of church to come and check. I just can't stop thinking about you.Just want you to know we are still here for you,your mom, Hayden, and even that stinker of a dad you have.No I love that dad of yours quite a bit to tell the truth. Good luck tomorrow!! We will be checking.
    Love ya,
    Garrett, Britt, Nakeaden & Axton

    ReplyDelete
  26. Leatham's, We love you and our prayers are with you all. Jace you are made out of good stuff. So brave! You are in the best place in the world! We know first hand many times how wonderful PCMC is. Many days were spent there with Mike. When Mike was there the first time, 21 years ago, a nurse told me to write every thing down. So I got a journal and did (pre-computer era)! Those are some of my most precious entries, as they are my faith in its most raw form. The Lord loves you all and in our most difficult trials comes the greatest blessings:)

    ReplyDelete
  27. 'What's up? Hey buddy. I hope you get feeling better. Best Buddies Forever! I miss you, all 5 of us do!'

    ~Dayton~

    ReplyDelete
  28. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hey Jace you better be tough or I will come down there and pull another one of your teeth! :) Hey, how much money did you get for that tooth anyway? I think you owe me some of it for pulling it for you! love ya Dude see ya soon.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Mrs. Leatham,
    You have always been there for Jer and I!! Now we are here for you guys! You have amazing and strong kids!! Heavenly Father always has a reason for everything he does, and the hardest things always make us stronger! Jace, I don't know you very well but i did meet you at one of Haden's Games and you are such a strong amazing kid!! You are in our thoughts and prayers everyday!! Stay strong little Buddy!! We Love you guys so much!!!
    ~ Chelsea Christensen and Jeremy Johnson

    ReplyDelete
  31. I just found out about your sweet Jace and my heart is full... Amy, Matt, Hayden, and Jace, you're in our hearts and prayers. Keep your chin up bud, and stay strong... we're all pullin' for you!!!

    Love,
    Candice and Jed Leishman

    ReplyDelete
  32. just wanted you to know we are thinking of you guys!! stay strong!!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Jacer
    Krew just saw your picture on our computer and wanted to say hi. He says he misses you and can't wait to play football with you soon. Jace buddy, You are a special kid. You have no idea how much we love you. Only an iron man can handle this pain. I'm so glad that Krew has a cousin that he can look up to in so many ways. Keep your head up and know that we love you! Luke, Emily, Krew, Brynlee

    ReplyDelete
  34. Jace, we just wanted to let you know we have been thinking about you all day. We just said family prayers and it is usually a fight. Nobody wants to say it! Tonight, Reagan and Dylan were fighting to say the prayers. They both wanted to pray for you. In Dylan's prayer, he prayed that we could take you some chocolate chip cookies and chocolate milk. So as soon as we can, we will! Buddy, we love you so much!!! Be brave and strong, we are all in your corner. Good night-hope you sleep well.
    J'dee

    ReplyDelete
  35. Amy, Matt, Hayden, and Jace-
    We just wanted you to know that we prayed for each of you by name tonight in our family prayers. Macie said a great prayer with a lot of Faith.(She is your cousin Skylar's friend.) We are in your Grandpa and Grandma Letham's ward and it was so awesome, our ward prayed for you and your family twice in sacrament meeting today. It was amazing! So many people love your family and have faith that you will get well. "Faith shines brightest in the dark!" I guess when we have hard things that come our way it really gives us an opportunity to let our faith shine! Every prayer we say know that we are praying for you.You can beat this! We know it!

    With love, prayers and friendship,
    Wade, Misty, Ashlyn, Shaylee, Macie, Blaire and Tyce Gordon

    P.S. Have your Grandpa and Grandma Leatham give you a great big hug and give them a great big hug from all of us!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Matt, Amy, Hayden, and Jace,
    Just want to let you know we are thinking about you and Praying for all of you. You are surrounded with some of the best and caring people in their feilds there at Primaries. You are in good hands there. They know how to take care of the whole family. We are made stronger through our trials when we place our trust in the lord. He has a reason for everything and it will work out for the best. Keep singing, it is the best medicine there is.
    The Robert and Kammie Dennis Family

    ReplyDelete
  37. I just found out about little Jace and wanted to tell you that I am praying for you!! What a handsome little guy! I will be thinking about you all the time, i am so glad you have this blog to journal everything and keep us all posted. Hang in there, you are going to be thought of and prayed for constantly:)

    Love,
    Amber Genta

    ReplyDelete
  38. Amy, Matt, Jace & Hayden - we are praying for you all! All of Hibbard 5th ward is praying for you too. The ward boundaries may have changed but the love for your family hasn't. Don't worry about school Amy - we will take care of everything. Please let us know if we can help at all! Love - Rodger & Debbie Hampton

    ReplyDelete
  39. I wanted to look that word "Hope" up in the dictionary:....the feeling that what is wanted can be had or that events will turn out for the best, That was perfect for what I wanted to say. I miss your smile and love keeping in touch. Jace.... I don't know you well but I'm beginning to understand that you will be a fighter. Someone needs your example so hang on, your an example of hope.
    Sincerely, Robyn

    ReplyDelete
  40. Jace,
    Rachel loved visiting you yesterday. She told me that it was amazing to feel your strength and the love that is there with you. I wasn't surprised... I feel your strength all the way here in Rexburg, and when ever I am with your mom I feel love. We love you!
    Love, The Perkes Family

    ReplyDelete