Friday, October 23, 2009

Dancing in the Rain

Recently, a friend gave me this quote painted on a beautiful home decoration:

“Life isn’t about waiting for the storm to pass. It’s about learning to dance in the rain.”

It makes a lot of sense when I think about it, because if I just wait for this storm to pass without appreciating the little things that are making the experience so tender, I would miss many precious moments with my Jace.

Lately I’ve been “dancing” by helping Jace bathe. I’ve often grieved that he was my last baby, but I’m getting the chance all over again to rub his scalp (and peach fuzz hair) with sweet smelling shampoo and conditioner. It is a humbling experience to help my 7 year old out of the tub, and to dry his weak body with an over-sized bath towel, but I am cherishing these minutes and hours where time is not important- and we can spend as much of it as we want.

Lately I’ve been “dancing” by rubbing Jace’s feet, legs and back with lotion. It “feels good” to him, and as his mom, this is one way I know I can help make him feel better. In the PCMC ER one nurse came into the room and said, “It smells like a spa in here.” It was because I was rubbing Jace’s feet with Stress Relief lotion- his new favorite.

Lately I’ve been “dancing” by learning every word to many of Jace’s favorite songs. Sometimes when he’s getting accessed (or punctured…with a needle), we will look into each other’s eyes (so he can’t see the needle) and sing. Our song this week has been: “1,2,3,4” by Plain White T’s. He loves this song, and we are driving Matt almost crazy by playing it over and over again any time we are in the vehicle. Jace quickly learned every word, and he sings it even when it’s not playing somewhere.

Lately I’ve been “dancing” by watching so many hearts turn soft over Jace. For some reason this amazing little boy has impacted many lives right now and helped us all be a little more loving and giving.
I’ve always loved dancing, though I was never that good. Jace still giggles at my attempts at the “Running Man” and other dance moves- but it IS way more fun to dance than to cry. So, here’s to another day down…and dancing in the rain.


14 comments:

  1. Jace... not gonna lie you are one of the sweetest kids i've ever known... Thank you for spending time with your cousins who look up to you so much... The time that your aunts and uncles get with you is cherished so much.. Natalie came back to Idaho Falls on Monday and raved at how sweet you are and how amazing you were playing with everyone. She was so happy that she was able to help your mom. But most of all she was so excited that she got some one on one time with you.... Thanks for being so amazing to everyone even when you don't feel like it... One of these days I'm going to take a drive up there so you can wave out the window to Vai... Jace he talks about you and prays for you every day... Stay strong and dance every chance you get!!! Love you, Staci

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amy I'm so proud you guys sound like you're doing so well!! I have seen many cancer and sick patient amilies in the past year and a half..and few to none as strong and exemplary as yours. I wish more people could be like you. Good luck!! hope to see you around.. :)
    Ashley Allen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey I hope this works. Jace & Amy hope you have a great day together.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey I did it! See I've had to learn something new thanks to you guys. Happy Day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that quote, thank you for sharing because I think we can all use a little "dancing in the rain". I admire your positive attitude. Thank you for letting us all take a little part in the "dance" because I know that Jace and you have strengthened me more than you'll ever know. I'm much more mindful to be grateful and "dance" every day! I know the "dance" you've been given isn't one you would have chosen but your strength in handling it has been an example to all of us.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this quote too- and next time it rains I am literally pulling you both out on the basketball court and we are going to do a little jig! :)
    And for all you readers: Speaking of dancing - there is a dance company who is doing benefit for Jace in Idaho Falls. It is a local company named 'Aspire.' The show is next Thursday, October 29, at the Civic Auditorium.
    Again, another amazing group who wants to help. So let's support Jace through supporting them.
    Love you guys-
    emily

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't think you know me, but my mom knows you and our boys played football together last year. I wanted to leave you a comment on here to tell you that you and your sweet little family will be in our prayers. I have cried each and every time I read your blog. Your little Jace sounds like he's an amazing kid and you are an amazing person. I'm impressed with your efforts to find the positive in your situation. That would be an aweful trial to go through, and my heart aches for you as a mother. I've also been inmpressed with how close your boys are through all of this. That is a bond that will never be broken. I will continue to pray for strength for you and your husband to endure this trial and for health and peace for little Jace. I wish you all the best. :O) Melissa Sutton

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love that quote! I want to share my favortie quote: "Anyone who says sunshine brings happiness has never danced in the rain!" Love you, Aunt Natalie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Leathams...that quote was even more real last night at that football game! We were all dancing in the rain; during halftime and the Cats actually pulled it off and won!!! How great was that. The halftime presentation was AWESOME and I know the students at the schools have been excited about that for a couple days. I am touched each time I read this blog at the strength I pull from your fighting spirit. I'm so glad I know you guys.
    Always remember GO!FIGHT!WIN! you are on your way to a victory with this!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Amy, Every time you mention a song in your blog i look it up while reading this blog-I am listening to 1,2,3,4 right now- and in the song their is some meaning behind every word that makes my heart swell for you guys! i was on youtube and i was looking up my favorite song its called 'Little Boy with a Baseball bat'(you should look it up) and it reminded me of Jace... no matter what life throws at him he keeps getting up...and finds happiness in the little things :)We Love you Jace!!!!! Keep Fighting!!

    Love, Monique Morales

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for sharing that quote! We will all look to your family when we need an example of "Dancing in the Rain". Keep Fighting. And remember....baby steps.
    Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey Jace, It was great to see you at the high school football game. I am proud of you. Keep fighting.
    your friend,
    Ryan Perkes

    ReplyDelete
  13. Amy, thank you for once again inspiring me. Last Sunday we had an experience I would like to share with you. Our church starts at 12:30. All morning I could not get Carson to eat (which is highly unusual). At about 11:30 I said "Carson you have got to eat before we go to church." He then informed me that he would not be eating that day because he was fasting for Jace. It wasn't fast Sunday, and we really don't ask our kids to fast before they are baptised. It brought tears to my eyes to see what one little child's faith might do in the sight of our Heavenly Father. Who knows? Maybe that is what helped Jace through the scare at PCMC. Whatever the case, thank you for letting our family learn to "dance in the rain" with you. You are truly an example of strength and hope. We love you and pray for you always

    The Downeys

    ReplyDelete
  14. so i got a new picture for the background on my laptop! so cute! :) i love it! :) sure cant wait to come play games this week :)

    love you guys!

    ReplyDelete