Tuesday, October 13, 2009

One Month Down


I’ve been rubbing Jace’s tummy off and on for the last 18 hours. He needs me to stay by him, and last night we sang Primary songs again. He came home from the hospital weak and sad. Instead of his favorite place on the couch, he went straight for the bed. We had a hard time getting him up to greet friends in the living room, and although he was sweet, as soon as they left he went straight for the bed again. His eyes are closed and he acts asleep, but if I ask him quietly if he’s ok, he nods slightly, and remains still. The procedures (Lumbar Puncture and Bone Marrow Biopsy) were particularly hard on him yesterday, but this is actually supposed to be a pretty good week, as he will receive a break from most meds. His numbers were great for a child enduring chemotherapy, and his prognosis is bright.

The happy news of the day is we finished the Induction Phase of treatment! This means, we have made it one month. I’ve been working on my, “Yay we finished one month” dance, but Jace thinks it still needs work. You should see him with his puffy cheeks, quietly giggle at his goofy mom. His treatment will change now, but he will still receive chemo every day. Matt and I will administer the oral medicine here at home. He will receive Lumbar Punctures (chemo in the spinal fluid) on day 0, 8, and 15, and he will continue to receive Vincristine weekly through his Port. (Day 0 starts on October 20th). Jace will discontinue his steroid medicine until again later in his treatment, so his cheeks will stop growing for now, and his acne will hopefully clear. He is very excited for this.

Jace continues to be a sweet boy despite his pain. He is particularly sweet to his toddler cousins and friends. Whenever one of the babies comes to visit, he elevates his voice and speaks directly to the child in a sweet tone. I also feel the spirit of angels around him every time I hold him. Yesterday in the hospital as he was awaking from the anesthesia in tears, I imagined several great-grandmothers and great-grandfathers there with us coaxing him with comfort and peace. In addition to feeling the angels from the other side, we continue to receive strength from the angels here with us. We love you and appreciate your sweet prayers.

We will be having a B.Y.O.C. party here at our home tomorrow night (Bring Your Own Clippers). Jace’s hair is thinning and patchy, so he wants to shave it. Hayden and Matt are going to join in the fun, but Jace gave me specific instructions that he doesn’t want me involved. Apparently he doesn’t think looking at me without hair every day would do anything positive for his treatment. I tend to agree.




13 comments:

  1. I wish we could be there for the BYOC Party. We think and pray for you daily and look forward to good news. ONE MONTH DOWN!!! YEA!!
    Jace you are doing great!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YEAH!!! One month done!!! Jace, enjoy every moment of being able to say you have completed one month of chemo. It is something to stand tall and proud about. Not everyone can endure what you have, expecially as well as you have!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jace your doing great! Devan and Davis have already shaved their heads! They just couldn't wait to support you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amy this last picture is priceless. It reminds me of my great aunt's favorite saying that it came to pass, not to stay. I try to hang on to that when the cloud cover gets dark and dreary.

    Much love and prayers,
    Holly

    p.s. Taylor says he hopes Jace likes Star Wars Legos as much as he does!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE that last picture. So good. You are great to take so many pics. I am still praying hard for your little Jace, I hope all keeps going well.

    Love,
    Amber Genta

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dillon has been waiting to shave his head. What time?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, the Telford boys will be over to have their heads shaved amazingly enough they really do need haircuts and when we just read this they begged, please mom can we get our hair done like Jace's. So we are on board :)Let us know the time and we'll bring our clippers.

    Also I have to add Hayden you have the coolest birthday ever!!! Rieley came home and said today is your birthday, so you and I share birthdays, So Happy Birthday:D
    Love, Erin and the Boyz

    ReplyDelete
  8. I too love that last picture. Strange as it may sound I can feel the "angels" when I read your blog, especially you Amy. That BYOC party sounds great. Probably a good idea that you hold off on shaving your head, but then again you are a very supportive mom! Wow one month down, we'll continue to pray that the months ahead go well for you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Jace,
    You are so brave! I can't wait to see all the newly shaved heads! We love you!
    Stacie and fam

    P.S. Greg and Emma have both been limping around since the Fun Run. I wish you could see them...it makes me laugh!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dear Jace,
    I am glad I got to come see you the other night. I am sorry you weren't feeling very well. I think you are really brave to go to the hospital all the time. You are doing a good job fighting that bad guy named Cancer. I know you can win! I have a cheer for you: 2-4-6-8, Jace is really great! I miss you at school. Bye. Love, Josten Judkins

    ReplyDelete
  11. Matt's shirt says it all. There is a way and we will continue doing doing the happy dance with you all the way to the "you're done" phase. Love you guys.
    Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your biggest fans in Utah are still routing for our #1, almost 7 year old little boy. We are sad that we will miss the shaving party, but Brad jumped the gun and did his today! LOL! You will look so cute! I can't wait to see all those heads. We may be up next week so maybe we will call and see if we can stop by. We love you guys and think of you everyday! Hang in there you have some great fans waiting for the party!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Leatham Family

    I don’t know your family nor do you know mine. The first weekend in September we attended a funeral in Sugar City, ID. Upon returning to Colorado I was reading a story about our friend on KIFI and saw an article about an event taking place to benefit Jace. Since that time I have been following your blog daily. I felt as though today was the day to break my silence. I wanted to congratulate Jace and your family on his “one month down” accomplishment.

    I am truly amazed at your ability to journal about the journey you are on. I can only imagine that you will learn many lessons along this path, although it may not be an easy one. I hope you know that you are touching the lives of so many people, even those you don’t know.

    Jace, your strength and determination is inspiring so many people. My son, Tanner (7), has been following your story with me and we pray for you everyday. His prayer for you is that you can get healthy and strong again so you can play football. That’s his favorite sport too! Hayden, your strength and love to your brother is amazing! I can only hope that my little guy is as an incredible big brother to his sister as you are to Jace.

    Keep on fighting Ironman…. We are cheering you on in Colorado!

    ReplyDelete