Friday, December 25, 2009

What Cancer Cannot Do

My sister gave me a necklace for Christmas which says:

What Cancer Cannot Do…
It Cannot…
Invade the Soul
Destroy Peace
Conquer the Spirit
Shatter Hope
Cripple Love
Corrode Faith
Steal Eternal Life
Silence Courage

I’m wearing the necklace tonight for reassurance, and I keep touching and looking at the list-- hoping it is true. After an incredible, green flag week, and a wonderful family party on Christmas Eve, the boys enjoyed a tender morning full of fun gifts and surprises. Jace even bathed and dressed in his new t-shirt and warm-ups and anxiously awaited our departure for another family get-together. But on our way out the door, he found himself weaker than usual, and asked me to "get dad" to carry him. Out of habit, I felt his forehead. NOOOO way. He was hot. Christmas morning… gifts already loaded…vehicle running and waiting for us… I grabbed the thermometer: 101.6 degrees. Oh man.

Amy: “Um, Matt. Jace has a fever.”
Matt: “No way.”
Hayden: “Is that bad?”
Jace (in tears): “Can we still go to the party?”

We gathered Jace in our arms, tried kissing away his tears, and took his temperature again and again. 102 degrees… 102.9… 103.0… (Soooo NOT good for a cancer patient). Hayden sat down on the couch knowing the day had just drastically taken a curve ball…and after calling the doctor, the four of us drove straight to the Emergency Room. A caring staff greeted us, tended to our every need, and we spent the day wondering why our little boy had a fever. The strep test was negative…and the chest x-ray looked clear- so we’ll have to see tomorrow or the next day what the blood work says. They filled Jace’s little body full of fluids and antibiotics, and we came home at 4 PM. After the party came to us tonight (Thanks family. We love you!), Jace maintained a low-grade fever, bathed twice, threw up once, and fell asleep on his daddy’s chest. Hayden was a good brother the entire day, and didn’t complain once about the change of plans.



Cancer CAN change some things. Cancer can make a family spend Christmas day in the hospital…and cancer CAN turn a turkey dinner into a bag of Doritos and a Fountain drink, but it definitely CANNOT Conquer the Spirit or Silence Courage. Every time I start doubting these facts, I just have to look at my kids- the bravest people I know. Merry Christmas everyone. We love you.

6 comments:

  1. We love you!!! I am so glad that we got to bring the party to you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so thankful for all of your posts. Even the not so good ones like the trip to the hospital on Christmas post. You help me to remember what is important. Your spirit is so strong. I am glad that Jace is okay and I hope the fever goes away quickly. I love the necklace message. Thank you for sharing your strength.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a beautiful necklace. Sorry to hear that you spent the day at the hospital on Christmas. Darn it. Hayden is a great brother to be there to support his little brother and not complain. I hope that Jace is feeling better and that everything is okay with the fever.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hayden is a hero! Jace is lucky to have such an awesome brother.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amy,
    It was so great to be able to see you guys at the party and spend time with everyone. Jace is such a sweetheart! Tell everyone we love them and to hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Jace,
    I am sorry you had to spend Christmas day in the hospital. But, I am glad that your family was all together. I love it that you are always brave. It helps me to try and be brave too. I hope you have a good week and aren't sick. I miss you at school. Josten Judkins :0)

    ReplyDelete