Friday, January 8, 2010

Holiday Hoops and Heroes


For many years my sons have looked up to the stars on the Madison Basketball court. Hours in the gym also facilitated their love of basketball, and sitting on the end of the bench while Grandpa helped coach didn’t hurt. Many heroes emerged too-- high school boys and coaches taking care of Hayden and Jace while I was coaching cheerleading. I’ve always heard it takes a community to raise a child. I guess things haven’t changed. Dozens of former players, coaches, and friends from Madison, Sugar City, and Rigby High gathered to burn a few holiday calories and to play in the spirit of giving. It doesn’t surprise me that this group of athletes came to our aid…and they once again set a good example for our sons. As I sit here looking at the photos of the participating teams, I see former students and friends… Matt was invited to play…and my brothers and their friends. I see so many people we have grown to love over the years. Thank you Todd and Suzie Holman, for organizing such a great event! It also seems fitting that two former Madison Cheerleaders put together a nice photo album for Jace. Count us in for helping with the Holiday Hoops for next year…and the next. Who knows? Maybe someday Hayden and Jace can even play. Thank you, thank you “hooping” heroes. You will always be stars to our family.

4 comments:

  1. Amy,
    What an incredible little guy you have. I find it awe-inspiring that his courage is so conatagious. I hear comments like, "If Jace and his family can endure their heavy trial and find a way to smile (even the smallest smile)...surely I can carry my comparably lighter load a few more paces." I know you would never have aspired to inspire an entire community, but you have done it all the same! I am sorry that it is hard and that it hurts. I wish there was a way to ease your burden. Amy, thank you for your honest, sincere expressions. Our thoughts and prayers are with you,
    Amber Fuller and family

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Amy, it's your cousin in London here just letting you know our prayers are coming to you from over here. If you happen to read this, can you tell me what song by the Plain White T's Jace loves? I remember once it was something you wrote about and I am trying to find a special copy for him. XX Gloria, Jim & Tristan (Riviera) Sciutto

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jace, you made my day (and I am sure all your classmates) on Wednesday. I was so glad I was in your class when you stopped by. It was so good to see you and your awesome smile. I think of you everyday when I go into Mrs. Crowder's room and see your name on the table. You are greatly missed at school! You and your family inspire me to be better. You are one tough guy!Keep being strong!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW what a roller coaster! What a strong amazing little boy you have... That basketball game would have been fun to watch. Your family is truly loved!

    ReplyDelete