We bought the expensive protective shirt to cover Jace’s Port-a-Cath that is located on his left ribs. If you can picture him batting, the Port faces the pitcher…and in “KID PITCH” baseball, this is pretty daunting. The Combat Gear we bought is an amazing, high quality padded shirt designed to protect the person wearing it. The problem is, Jace is SO finicky about his clothing. Right before his first game last week, he felt the shirt was restricting his movement. He was hot, and the shirt was cumbersome and annoying. He begged to take it off. After having the “parent talk” with him about how he “might get hit, and if he does- it will really hurt,” but “it is his decision,” he lost no time in stripping off the Combat Gear and replacing his jersey without it. It was a tough call as a parent to watch him remove the gear. We have been told by our doctors that it won’t really do any damage to the Port if he does get hit there, as it is securely placed under the skin. The worst that can happen is it will just leave a bruise, causing extra pain.
Extra pain. Hmmm. We’ve about decided Jace doesn’t care about pain anymore. He again and again endures things that would make grown men cry. So, I guess when Matt and I say “extra pain,” Jace shrugs his shoulders and says, “Big deal.” I’m just really wishing there was such an invention as Combat Gear for a mother’s heart.
Like I hinted, after four official games Jace’s batting record is less than desirable, and his chemo treatment last Tuesday knocked him down worse than we planned. By Thursday morning he was nearly as sick as he was in the heart of his frequent treatments. Saturday we wondered how he would play in his baseball games at all, but like the trooper he is, he showed up, gave his best, and collapsed at the end of the day. Matt carried him to bed.
My awesome friend, Melissa gave a talk in church Sunday. She gave an analogy that I loved using baseball. She said that while watching our sons’ games Saturday she noticed again and again the coach coax the runner off the base for a lead. While the opposing pitcher had the ball, the coach would yell to the runner, “More, more! I got you.” This meant, you can lead off more than you are! I will protect you- should the pitcher try to pick you off…and if the pitcher turned to throw, the coach would yell, “BACK!” This is often very uncomfortable for our boys, because the base is so much safer for them than half-way up the baseline. Melissa likened this to giving MORE in life. It is often uncomfortable to improve (advance), but very rewarding in the end. In other words, we can’t be scared! Our Heavenly Father will protect us if we just listen to Him- and just like the coach, He does NOT want us to get “OUT.”
So this week our family is working through what monthly chemo treatments will be like for Jace. Every time someone (who doesn’t read the blog) asks if he’s finished with chemotherapy, they are surprised when we say he will have monthly treatments for 2 ½ more years. In fact, the other day in a store, the clerk was helping me find something. Jace was walking next to me, and his legs were getting tired. He lifted his arms up to tell me he needed carried. I automatically picked him up. The clerk looked at me in surprise and said outloud, “I’m sorry, but he is too old for you to carry!” I just smiled and thought to myself, if she only knew. We also left the store…before she wished she had Combat Gear. :)
(Hayden looking to steal 3rd)





i love reading your blog. You and your family are such an inspiration. Sometimes i just cry for you and your family... I know you will make it through but I cry for the trials you face along the way. I have a baby brother with special needs and while physically he seems fine for the most part its what goes on inside that makes him special. People are so quick to judge and not so quick to be kind and understanding. If only others could understand what its like to be different... God bless you and your family I pray for all the strength in the world for you and just remember you will always come out stronger for it. :]
ReplyDeleteThanks Melissa for your post, I find myself crying after I read it a lot. What a trooper Jace is, not to mention you. I'd be wanting combat gear for all of my fears, it has to be very hard to let him play baseball. Wow - I'm proud you didn't let the clerk have it. Sometimes we all need carried!
ReplyDeleteOnce again I am teary eyed as I read your words. I love Melissa's analogy and I think that the reason for the tears is the enormous love that I have for Jace, those special coaches, and those great boys on the team. I wish I had been at that store with you, I don't think I would have been able to control myself and I would have really let that clerk have it. You are a far better Mom than most. See you tonight!
ReplyDeleteHey Leatham family!
ReplyDeleteJust wanted you to know you haven't been forgotten! I was anxious to read your post and see how our little ironman is doing, along with the rest of you. It's a good thing I wasn't with you in the store!!!! Jace is looking stronger all the time and we all feel of your strength as a family. Love you all!
P.S We have a rice baby at our house left from Christmas. I will eventually get it back to you.
Leatham Family
ReplyDeleteWow what an inspiring post today. I always look forward to the next post. I also let my family know how everything is going. Amy you rock. If only that clerk knew. A friend of my husband said that if that clerk was at Broulims he would talk to her. Even though she didn't know, she shouldn't have said what she said. All of you are STRONG!!!!! Also thank you for sharing that talk. It makes you think. Jace you are an inspiration to all. Can I do anything to help???? Please let me know what I can do. Keep having the FAITH to keep going and let the Lord carry you when you don't think you can go anymore. Love always and forever, Milt and LuAnn Webster, and Families!!!
I always love your inspiring posts.. I went on a little temple trip this past week and put Jace and your families name in each temple I went to.. You are such an amazing family and I seriously look forward to your posts.. keep them coming! You're always in our thoughts and prayers..
ReplyDeleteI love reading your posts, they are always so inspiring to me. It is very helpful to look at chemotherapy and cancer from your perspective! I am sorry to hear that this weeks chemo was so hard on Jace. I love you guys, your visits brighten the office and make our days! Thanks for the ice cream party - it was enjoyed by all and such a fun surprise. Jace, I hope you are feeling much better and good luck with baseball this week. Love, Linda
ReplyDeleteIt's amazing how resilient a child can be! Thank you once again for reminding us of the blessings during the storms of life. Jordyn wishes Jace could come back to school, and she is so excited to see that next year they are in the same class! We are praying for your family every day.
ReplyDeleteI don't comment often, but I read or check for updates daily. I think of Jace all the time. You post had me in tears tonight. Really for no particular reason, just for everything. I wish that noone had to go through what you are going through. Hugs and many positive thoughts coming your way.
ReplyDeleteHey Amy--This is Lesley...I love reading your blogs. You and Matt are the best parents. Your family is inspirational and have touched many lives. Good job with baseball Jace.. Love Lesley
ReplyDelete