Thursday, April 1st, we went for a few days to Hayden’s baseball tournament in Mesquite, Nevada, and St. George, Utah. We packed shorts and t-shirts and hoped for warm weather, so we were a little concerned on our way when there was still snow in Southern Utah…but no worries! Mesquite was beautiful, and the baseball diamonds were amazing. It wasn’t hot, but it certainly wasn’t cold. Hayden’s team went 2-2, but we all decided a bad day of baseball in the sunshine is way better than a good day in the snow!
The best investment we made the entire trip was a $36 razor scooter for Jace. He still doesn’t have his legs, so the scooter allowed him to keep up with us, without having to be carried. He buzzed around the sidewalks on it, and for the first time in a LONG time, he felt like the "old" Jace. If you don’t know Jace personally, let me explain that pre-cancer, Jace loved to run! His favorite part of baseball last year was racing around the bases when the games were over. He would even challenge older kids to race him, and sometimes he would win. So, it has been hard on him to be the slow one, or the one who even has to be carried. The scooter is his current tender mercy. It was pretty funny how if he started going too fast, you could hear a collective gasp from all of the moms at the field! My heart was so scared for him to get hurt, but at the same time I knew how important it was for his own psyche to feel that wind in his face and taste how sweet life can be.
The other great investment we made was an awesome, new HAT to cover Jace’s head. (actually, Grandma bought the hat for him and stuffed the pocket with money...what a Grandma!) The only one of us who didn’t get sunburned was Jace, so I was glad for that. We were diligent with his pasty white skin- to keep it covered with sunscreen and the HAT. By the 2nd game on the first day, Jace was worn out. This is a picture of him buried in the jackets on a chair. He slept the entire 2nd game. The same was true the next day as Matt carried him to the car at the end of the night.
It was a good reminder to appreciate every minute I have. I looked around at my two incredible sons, my strong, amazing husband, and the baseball friends we enjoy so much, and I said a prayer of thanks. I am convinced that life is difficult, but I know Heavenly Father has sent us so many things- and people- to help us through it.
So, though difficult-- life is good. We felt the sun in our faces, and we came home to a loving community and a warm, beautiful home. With the aid of multiple positive resources, the Leatham fam feels blessed and loved. More specifically, Jace is doing well, and although he's trying to give his mom a heart attack, he once again knows the feeling of “being fast.”



You guys are amazing Amy, and I'm glad you got to have a nice weekend away with the sunshine! Your blog always brings tears to my eyes and know that we're always praying for you!
ReplyDeleteHad to laugh at the last picture, I noticed that Hayden's brim is more curved than the other boys, Matt and Brandon must be related somehow. It did my heart good to see all the baseball boys so happy and together. And I was glad to see that McKay is still there and looking so happy. Baseball just isn't the same without good friends. Jealous of the fabulous weather and the sunshine you guys enjoyed!
ReplyDeleteWe heard you guys soaked up the nice sun, and had a good time. We also heard the Samori was a hit. Hopefully it won't be long and that little scooter won't even be able to keep up with Jace running. Give him a hug for us!!!
ReplyDeleteFor very selfish reasons I pray you do not stop bloging about Jace. It is almost like a mini testimony meeting each time I read your posts. I feel your struggles and strength through your posts and appreciate your words. We love to hear the latest about your family. It was interesting, a few days ago I finally put two and two together and realized your mom is THE Mrs. Grover. She had CJ in her class and was sucha a wonderful blessing. The apple doesn't fall far from the tree in this case. And your wonderful sister has done out family photos the last few times. We have mutual friends in common and we always love to hear how things are going so PLEASE don't stop. For all the friends and family who have ever been touched by cancer you are a blessing. Thank you!
ReplyDeleteMy name is Lisa-Marie and I met Jace's Grandma, Joan, through Relay for Life. It's been nice to be able to read your blog and learn more about what an amazing young boy Jace is. I can see just why his grandma would form a team in his honor. I'll RUN a few laps at our Relay event for Jace.
ReplyDeleteThank you for sharing your story and your testimony.
God bless you and your family.
P.S. Alisha's Mom and Dad introduced my husband and me!
LOVE IT! I am totally jealous of your time in the sun, but I am so glad you were able to get away. You deserve it! Love you.
ReplyDeleteWhat a great weekend. We are all so blessed to live in this amazing community with amazing friends. We love you!
ReplyDeleteYeah, what a great weekend for you all! I'm sure you needed it. So great to see Jace getting to enjoy the sun and life outside again.
ReplyDeleteIs the coach of this baseball team Anthony Armstrong? He is my nephew and I heard he was in St. George for baseball tourny...didn't realize it was the younger kids. It was his bday over the weekend.
ReplyDeleteAmy, I too am uplifted each time I read your blog...brings lots of tender moments I have experienced back to my mind and I need to remember them more often. When other trials come your way and you're wondering how to get through it...you will have this experience to pull you up and say "oh, yes I can"! We love ya and your family...it's been great to see you out and about more.
Jace....GO! FIGHT! WIN!
Those razor scooters were a wonderful invention. We have gone through several on just two boys and Sam at 13 still rides his out front on the driveway. They make them with motors!!! Scary!!! Thanks for the update. Go Jace!!!!!!!!
ReplyDeleteOh how I wish I knew you guys were in St. George and Mesquite. I would have gladly driven up from Vegas to see you guys and meet Jace (Hayden too.) Your family is in my prayers daily.
ReplyDeleteIt's so good to see Jace so happy riding his scooter! I'm glad you guys had a nice relaxing time in the sun! I hope you brought it back to Idaho with you :)
ReplyDeleteThanks for the tears! I needed a good cry this morning! Man how the word cancer means so many different things now! Please tell my Hayden & Jacers I love them!
ReplyDeletePraise the Good Lord! Prayers are answered!
ReplyDeleteWhat a great weekend for all of you! Baseball, sun, scooters, good friends and the love of a wonderful Family, What a Blessing! You are always in our Prayers and thoughts! Stay Strong and know that you all are loved!
Love Always, Richard and Cindy
Love you guys! Call me next time you're driving through Utah! Would love to give you a real hug:) Steve and I love reading your blog and we're continually touched by your amazing family and friends. My kids never forget Jace in their prayers.
ReplyDeleteDear Jace,
ReplyDeleteIt was cool to see you at DARE graduation. I am glad you got a scooter so you don't have to get tired walking so much, and so you can go fast! I have a scooter just like it! I hope you have fun doing baseball this year. I still miss you at school. I hope you can come back for 2nd grade. I hope I see you soon. Your friend, Josten Judkins
Bless your heart. I'm a reader of your blog but I don't know you personally. I wouldn't even know you if I saw you on the streets. Robyn Easton shared your story last fall with me and I've followed your blog ever since. I teach for Madison District also and I want you to know that you're in many prayers of those you don't even know. Taking it a day at a time is a good decision. You are loved.
ReplyDeleteI too have never met any of you. I found this blog through a friend of my sisters. I put two and two together a while ago and found that your sister Natalie, is my daughters pre-school teacher! We love her and I have loved reading your inspiring stories, please keep the blog going I look forward to the spiritual uplift you bring to me. I have a son of my own named Jace and pray that yours will conquer all! Thanks for the blog
ReplyDeleteHey you guys!! Hope your week is a good one inspite of the snow. Orrin will be working his magic across the road soon, he loves the farm. Thinking of you!!!
ReplyDeleteWe are so happy to hear that the old Jace is starting to make regular appearances! We love you all so much and are happy to have you back in our little corner of Idaho!
ReplyDelete