Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Relay for Life

With every year that passes I find myself realizing how difficult life really is. Because I had a wonderful childhood, I grew up under the impression that adults knew all of the answers, they always did the right things, and life was good- and fun- and happy. I have you all smirking at my naivety, now though, don’t I? Because the hard, cold truth is, now I'm the adult, and I don't know anything! Adults don’t have all the answers, and sometimes we actually need our kids to help us through the difficult things.

I have a vivid memory of a Monday morning years ago, when as the teacher I had to walk into my classroom full of high school seniors, and discuss the death of their two classmates who were killed over the weekend, one of whom should have been in my classroom. I took a deep breath at the door, tried to gain my composure, and walked in to 29 tearful, grieving students. I was immediately at a loss for words as I stood in front of them, and my tears started falling again. The only dialogue I managed was, “I’m so sorry. I don’t know how to be the adult today.” They rose from their seats and engulfed me, and we all embraced and cried together.

That experience tenderly reminds me that although we try so hard to appear to have all of the answers, sometimes we just don’t, and allowing others to see our tears isn’t always a bad thing.

At 7 AM yesterday, we lovingly whispered, “It’s time to wake up,” in Jace’s ear. It was a “chemo” day, and a big one. In addition to his regular IV chemo, he would also receive general anesthesia for a Lumbar Puncture. Our nurse Linda pegged my feelings exactly when she said, “I bet it’s hard for you to bring Jace back to treatments after he’s been feeling so well.” Yep, that’s right. I hate it. It makes me want to swear, and I don’t even cuss. In fact, it puts me on the edge of bitter again…despite my efforts to NOT go there.

Also, after his CBC, we also realized Jace’s numbers were lower than they should be right now. WHAT is THAT about? When I say numbers, I mean, his ANC, HCT, and HGB. Although our next scheduled appointment was at the end of July, Jace will return for another CBC next week to see what’s going on. Like a trooper though, Jace diligently made it through the day of chemo. Last night I was taking inventory to make sure I had given him all of the right meds at the right times, and my heart ached for his little 63 lb. body. I counted pills: 1 ½ 6MP, 8 steroid pills at .75 mg each, and his usual 1 ½ Septra pills on Tuesdays. In addition to that he had chemo in his spinal fluid, and chemo in his port.

(Waiting for the Lumbar Puncture)
(Watching them take Jace away)


(Trying to wake up in recovery)

After an emotional day Jace said to me, “What’s the matter?”

I replied, “Why do you say that, honey? Nothing’s wrong. I’m ok.”

He said, “You have your ‘matter’ face.” I finally smiled for real. He’s so cute.

We have a team walking in our local Relay for Life this Friday, June 25th, and our Rexburg Jamba Juice is sponsoring us for our fundraiser. They are actually donating 20% of any purchase to Relay for Life if you take in our flyer that says, “Jamba and Jace” for the cure. If you need a flyer, we have some sitting at the Madison Ridge Chiropractic Center, Teton Oncology, and the Madison Surgical Center. Also, we’ll be passing them out all week at the Madison Baseball Tournament. If you can't get a flyer, you can actually just order Jace's favorite Jamba and they will donate 20% of that purchase to Relay for Life. We appreciate Jamba's generosity so much!

Please come to the Relay for Life if you live in Rexburg. It is at the MHS football field and it starts with "survivors" making a lap at 6 PM. Of course we are relatively new to the cancer world, but I've heard this is a pretty amazing experience.

As I’ve prepared for this Relay, I realized the reality is, LIFE IS one big giant Relay. When one of us gets tired or overwhelmed, it’s ok for someone else to help us and take over for a bit-  lift our spirits, give us the energy we need to carry on, and send us on our way. I am SO grateful for the people in our lives, who fill our buckets and support Jace in his OWN Relay for Life. Although as the adult, I don't have all the answers, I do know that some pretty amazing people help me every day, and I'm so grateful they are on my "team."

10 comments:

  1. Thanks for your post Amy, I'm crying, but thanks!! Your blog always gives me the inspiration to keep going and know that my problems are mild in comparison with others! We will have to get some flyers and head to Jamba Juice, my kids will love that I'm telling them we HAVE to go to Jamba Juice. Good luck with the Relay!! Maybe we'll have to stop by and cheer you on!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing your spirit, it's always energizing and uplifting, although tearful to read your posts! I was just sharing with my Sunday School class on Sunday that we all knew exactly what we would face in coming to earth and how excited we were to get to come regardless of the trials. I'm sure it doesn't seem that way now but you and Jace are truly an inspiration to us who read and pray for your cute Jace! I have a sister in Rexburg and will make sure she gets into Jamba!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amy on of my favorite things to say is, "Being an adult is not how it was advertised." I like you thought being an adult would be fun and easy. Not so. I first learned that I didn't have the answers when my little two year old daughter was diagnosed with a rare disease. Recently she told me "mom it is kinda ok I can't have kids because tons of kids need a good mom." I have been worried about this aspect of her life for 10 years. She takes it in stride and teaches me every day. Amy you are awesome and you put your thoughts into words better than most. Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Jace just wanted to know that we got your Orange Dream Machine with Strawberry today at Jamba and we're sending you our love!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It was great to see you all yesterday! My mom took all 14 of us to Jamba after the Spray Park. The Orange Dream Machine w/Strawberries is so yummy! Thanks for the suggestion, Jace. We only needed one flyer so we passed the rest out to everyone in line behind us. Every little bit helps, right:) We love you guys and can't wait to hear about the Relay!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jace's Jamba is delicious! Amy, thank you so much for sharing your experiences with each of us. You are so strong and amazing even though it might not feel like it sometimes. Hope to see you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So proud to be apart of TEAM JACE! Thanks for being so tough Jace! I truly admire you! Love, Aunt Natalie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Jace!
    Thanks for letting me pass out fliers with you. I had fun spending time with you. I'm glad you were feeling pretty good after your chemo that day. Let's do something again soon. You make a cool banana, Dude! Love, Josten

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Leatham Fam! We just wanted to let you guys know we are thinking about you. We are sad that we missed the Relay for Life it sounds like there was a great turn out. When your in Utah again give us a ring we would love to see you! Love Nichole

    ReplyDelete
  10. Amy, you are such an example for faith in the face of adversity. I so wish I was more like you. Jace, Thank you so much for playing with Sawyer, even though you weren't feeling very well, he's missed you!

    ReplyDelete