This morning was AMAZING. With the help of an incredible family and loving friends, we turned the anniversary of Jace’s diagnosis into a BEAUTIFUL DAY. Supplies came pouring in, and assembly line style we produced 15 bags to give to new cancer patients- similar to the one we received from a parent at Primary Children’s Hospital one year ago. THANK YOU everyone who supported this event and donated time and/or money. We NEVER could have done this without ALL of you.
“Fear not, I am with thee; oh, be not dismayed,
For I am thy God and will still give thee aid.
I’ll strengthen thee, help thee, and cause thee to stand,
Upheld by my righteous omnipotent hand.”
(September 13 or 14, 2009
with 95% cancerous blood)
“When through the deep waters I call thee to go,
The rivers of sorrow shall not thee o’erflow
For I will be with thee, thy troubles to bless,
And sanctify to thee, the deepest distress.”
(In remission September 10, 2010
READY for two more years of chemotherapy)
Jace and his cancer bud, Mark Steiner also wrote letters to put into the bags, and I took a picture of Jace’s letter. I think it's a perfect way to end this post and this year of cancer!


















I think that you and your family are an amazing example to not only me and my family but the the community!
ReplyDeleteCancer is hard on families. I know.
But what you are doing is changing the face of how to deal with cancer.
You are such a strength. . . Thank you for always lifting me up.
The Leathams are an incredible family!!!
ReplyDeleteWe are so grateful to be apart of your lives, and so happy we could help yesterday! love you
ReplyDeleteJace you and your family have been so inspiring to me. Thanks for being such a good example :)
ReplyDeleteWhat an amazing family you are. No doubt God sent this young boy to the perfect home. What a sweet spirit I always feel when I view your blog. Thank you for your courage and willing to share a journey so personal. God bless you.
ReplyDeleteWOW! I love the letter Jace. You are a sweetheart.
ReplyDeleteI have loved reading your blog, I found it through a friend of a friend....I love it because I am a childhood ALL Leukemia survivor. I was diagnosed when I was 3, and I am now 26. I know that there are so many ups and downs, but I give you a million thumbs up for changing this situation from something tragic into something inspiring. Keep up the positive attitude, and whatever happens for your family, know that there are strangers watching and learning from you. Thank you for letting this stranger be inspired by your good works!
ReplyDeleteI love Jace's note, he is such a strong boy! You guys are such an amazing family!
ReplyDeleteThank you for sharing this and doing this! I'm Ashley Sullenger's sister-in-law and she speaks so highly of you! Thank you for being there for her - your story has touched me and I look forward to reading your blog and praying for Jace!
ReplyDeleteYou guys are AMAZING! I hadn't had a chance to look at blogging in a week or so and I was SICK that we missed your anniversary day service project...taught me that I need to stay caught up in the blogging world daily! :) you guys are incredible! Thanks for your shining example to us ALWAYS! We love you all! jared and katie sommer family
ReplyDeletejace this is shelly. i cant wait to see you jace! BETTER GET READY TO RUN PACERS WITH ME! jace you are a trooper ! i hope you will
ReplyDeletebe in school! i missed you at school today!
You all are amazing! Through all of your trials that you're going through you still find time to think of others and help to make a difference.
ReplyDeleteAmy,
ReplyDeleteI'm not sure how I stumbled upon your blog. It must've been an answer to prayer. My son is looking for a worthwhile eagle scout project. He wants to do something meaningful for cancer patients...as we lost my dad to the disease almost two years ago. My mom has also suffered with breast cancer twice. The hunstman website had a few ideas...but I'm liking the idea of your cancer bags. Can you give me more info about what you put inside of them and where you were able to get some of yoru supplies (i.e. hand sanitizer and face masks). I would REALLY appreciate your input...I think this will be just the thing we have been looking for. My email is jillrparkinson@gmail.com. THANK YOU for your help!!
Your story brings back so many scary memories...yet happy ones. Hang in there!! My brother had leukemia when he was 2 and he will now be 16 years old in November. My prayers are with you.
ReplyDeletewhat a sweet boy. I can't believe how much he has changed and grown in one year. I have a friend who's sister was just diagnosed with cancer, your story brings so much hope and a feeling of peace when I look at those pictures of Jace. His letter is darling:)
ReplyDeleteAmber Genta