I’ve been getting the head tilt from people lately. They
look at me, tilt their heads, and ask gingerly, “How are you? Are you ok?” I
think this is my clue to get over myself and to quit evoking pity. Although I fear I have reached an all-time
sadness low (I think maybe arising from exhaustion and fear), I recognize I have so many
things for which to be grateful.
Hayden stayed home with Jace Tuesday (he wasn’t quite ready
to brave an entire school day yet) so Matt and I could both go to work. In the middle of the day though, Hayden had a
dentist appointment. He was to have a baby tooth pulled that just wouldn’t fall
out… I explained to Jace that he could go to an uncle or aunt’s for an hour, or
he could go with Hayden. He replied,
“Well, Hayden might need me with him, right?” Although Hayden wasn’t nervous at all, Jace knew the
importance of having someone by your side.
As I picked them both up from the
dentist’s office on my lunch break, I inquired, “How did it go, Hayden??!? Are you
ok?”
Hayden answered, “I thought you were there.”
I said, “What? I’ve been teaching. I’m only now on my lunch
break. Why did you think I was there?”
He replied, “Because when they started pulling my tooth,
someone was rubbing my leg. I thought it was you, but then after it was over, I
realized it was Jace.”
Jace went to the dentist with Hayden. He insisted on ‘going
back’ with him, and when it seemed like it might be painful, Jace stood by
Hayden and comforted him. Jace is 9 years old.
…As I was holding Jace last week after chemo…rubbing his
legs and feet so they wouldn’t ache…keeping him close so he knew I was
there…watching him toss and turn to get comfortable…my heart literally felt broken.
Ironically the same evening, I received an email with the words to an incredible song,
“Beautiful Heartbreak” by Hilary Weeks. There is also a video for the song that
is powerful. I read and watched
tearfully. (Thank you Roberta.)
Often I question. I wonder…and when I’m really tired, I resent
trials (don’t judge :)). It is heartbreaking to watch Jace go through this
fight (and heartbreaking to watch Hayden watch Jace go through this fight)… Then I think, would Jace have been so tender to his brother at the
dentist’s had he not endured such difficult trials himself? Would my boys understand so deeply the meaning of taking care of someone and never quitting them? Are we all really
going to be better for this experience?
Cancer breaks hearts…and brings brothers together. Hayden and Jace are enduring something kids
shouldn’t have to go through. It’s
heartbreaking, and once in a while at the dentist’s office, it’s beautiful…Now correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't THAT something to tilt your head about? :)
Love you all...
Thank you for staying with us.
We can do this!
Love you all...
Thank you for staying with us.
We can do this!
You have earned every right to tilt your head! What fantastic sons and brothers. Notice though that Jace rubbed Hayden's legs just like you rub Jace's...he's following your sweet example of love. You are an amazing mother and example to all of us. Someday you'll look back on it all and it will be a "Beautiful Heartbreak". Prayers continue to flow for you and your family.
ReplyDeleteYou have earned our sympathy, love, and worry and you don't have to be the "brave soldier" all of the time. It's okay to break down and say, "THIS IS HARD!" What a tender story about Haydn and Jace. You are wise enough to see the flowers through the weeds and I think that Jace needed to be the one who was needed and be the one consoling. A growth for them both. Bless you, Bless you, Bless you. Dear woman, you are doing JUST fine! You ARE all going to be better for this experience and don't forget that those of us on the outside looking in are going to be better also. THAT is a blessing!
ReplyDeleteWhen all is said and done, these 2 boys will be the most compassionate, loving and selfless boys out there - they are learning and growing and you all are as a family, this post shares with us the importance of compassion and understanding - and that is a blessing to me!
ReplyDeleteOh Amy you are so incredible! You have raised those boys to truly be so selfless, I hope so day to be a mom like you. I cant help but shed tears over ALL your family has gone through, thank you for sharing your journey... you are truly inspiring.
ReplyDeleteWhat an amazing story. :) I don't know very many siblings at that age who are that kind to each other. They have learned something so valuable that most parents can only hope to teach their kids. Those 2 will probably always be close and have such an awesome relationship. I truly believe that somewhere down the road these amazing stories will stand out and make you grateful for "parts" of this trial. :) Thank you for sharing your story with all of us!
ReplyDeleteHi Amy - I've never commented before - but we have kept tabs on your family via the blog and Lacy and Hank. I love and admire this post for so many reasons. When Trevor was facing his first bout with cancer his little brother was his Hayden. It is an incredible bond the two of them share to this day, there is something so special about brothers. I'm so glad your boys have each other. And they are so lucky to have you for their mother.
ReplyDeleteThis story made me cry, mainly thinking of 9 year old Jace being so brave and watching out for his big brother. I love how close they have become, you are all incredible.
ReplyDeleteAmy my girls used to go to Sheila's with your boys and I read your blog regularly!! You also taught my daughter last tri. I just want you to know that nobody is "judging" you. I think you have a right to be angry at mad at times and you are such an inspiration to everyone!! Up until this year Jerika has never liked English or reading. You helped her so much and she loved you your class. I have so much gratitude to you for being such a great teacher the kids love while still going through your trials. You are amazing and it is okay sometimes to break down, if anyone deserves it, it is you!! Keep up the good work, we pray for Jace every night. Love Janel
ReplyDeleteYou do have amazing boys! And they learned it from their amazing, strong and faithful mom! Love you! :)
ReplyDelete