Saturday, September 22, 2012

Save the Date! and Applesauce

We've learned to be creative about giving meds to Jace. For the last 1,106  days, Jace has had AT LEAST two pills of chemo meds to swallow every single day. On his worst days though (Thursdays of Chemo weeks) he swallows 21 pills:  12 Methotrexate, 2 6MPs, and 7 Dexamethazone.  In the beginning at Primary Children's Hospital, they taught us to poke his daily pills into a spoonful of chocolate pudding. After his first year of this, he started getting a taste aversion to chocolate pudding. (I wonder why?? ha ha). Next it was yogurt, but then we learned that the 6MP wasn't suppose to be given with milk.  Oops...So, for the last year, we've used applesauce.

Today I bought the last applesauce we'll need.:)  I started figuring it out, and as I placed some applesauce in the cart, I went to reach for another one. Then I stopped. We won't need more. Right in the middle of Wal Mart I almost did my own happy dance. It sounds stupid, but for the first time, I smiled a genuine smile realizing that this chapter is really ending. Actually, is the book in it's final chapters? I think my students should recognize this as the falling action...:) (While I'm thinking about it, can anyone tell me how to print this blog into a hard copy book?)

THANK you for the great feedback about a celebration. With a combination of ideas, and many encouraging words...:), we ARE going to have an "Up with Cancer" party the evening before Thanksgiving.  Everyone is invited. Please, please save the date, and spend November 21 with us in Rexburg. (IF you'd like to help, email me or leave a comment. My mother-in-law, Joan, graciously agreed to be the Party Planner, so she will coordinate efforts.:)

A tentative agenda includes:

*A blood drive that day for those interested (Jace definitely used his share of donated blood, so it would be nice if we could give some back...)
*A service project (Or several? Any ideas?)
AND THEN...
*A balloon launching at sunset.... in honor of JACE, a sign of victory for other people who have won their fight against cancer, and a remembrance of those who have passed on.  (As we get closer, I'll post the details of location and time.)

AND

*If you can't come, we really, really, really want you to launch a balloon WHEREVER you are. Take pictures too and email them to us?

Jace has two more months of applesauce and chemo treatments: October and November. We will go to Primary Children's Hospital for the next one, and then we'll finish in Rexburg in November.  Shortly after his November treatment, we'll schedule the surgery to remove his port.:)  By November 21, he should be feeling better and ready to celebrate. Can you believe it? I'm kind of doing another happy dance right now...:)

When I asked Jace if it was ok if we celebrated, he shrugged his shoulders a little-- and smiled.
"You can invite anyone you want..." I coaxed.
"Ok," he replied thoughtfully... "Let's just invite EVERYONE actually," he added.
My eyes filled with tears.
Done.

See you there?
Oh, and  just for the record... we WON'T be serving applesauce.:)

7 comments:

  1. We would LOVE to help, let me know what I can do!! YAY!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YAY!! A happy dance in the middle of walmart was well deserved - About printing this blog, I use blog2print.com, they turn out great - look similar to a HS yearbook and the cost is very reasonable - if you need help doing it, I'm happy to help.....589-9313 (Natalie has been my kids' preschool teacher for years... just so you don't think I'm a total creeper) :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. All the Baldwins are thrilled you are nearly through this! You've been so good to let us follow along through this blog. I print my blog through blog2print.com as well. Great quality and not too pricey. My only complaint is you can't adjust the picture size. They are quite small. I've searched high and low for different options and it is the best out there for now. Seriously so happy for you guys! Love, Marie (Baldwin) Poulter :) poulterfamily7@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. We will be there celebrating for sure!!! I will get with Aunt Joan to see how we can help. I have made all my blog books through Blurb. It is awesome, and really easy. I would love to help you if you would like. I am trying to find words to describe how excited I am for Jace, you, Matt, and Hayden. All I can think to say is we love you all so much. We are blessed to call you our family, and we are so excited to see this chapter in your lives close. We will be there for you forever and always!! Love ya!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wish I could be there to celebrate with you! Another something you could possibly add is a "Be the Match" marrow donor drive. Thankfully Jace didn't need a marrow transplant! But it'd be great to raise awareness in Rexburg! Marrow.org is the National Marrow Registry web address. Congrats, again! Your family is amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm going to rally the troops from the surgery center (MMSC) and we are going to come join you. We get just as excited as the patients when it's their last treatment!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wish we could be there, but we will be thinking of you. I've been told blurb.com is a good place to print books, but I've never tried it and I so need to do one. So tell you what! You find out the best and let me know! Love you guys! Your almost done!!!

    ReplyDelete