Monday, September 21, 2009

Allergic Reaction


After Jace's bout with an allergic reaction to the platelets, I considered for one brief moment, walking away from this blog.:) I wondered how I could post such a painful experience today, and keep doing it in the days to come. There we were on a little high about favorable cancer (How is that possible?? Students, did you catch the oxymoron?), and wham. His eyes started itching, his tongue started swelling, and before I knew it, my morale was knocked lower than it has been since last Saturday. Of course the nurses were immediately there medicating him to reverse the effects, and it eventually subsided. It's just so frustrating, because the reaction wasn't due to the Leukemia or the chemo. It was simply his body rejecting the donor's platelets. But, there is nothing like seeing your child cry and thrash and beg for relief. It also prolonged the dreaded hunger he felt, and we've never seen him more mad. For all of you who know the Grovers and the Leathams, picture this: A Grover at his maddest-- then a Leatham at his maddest. Combine the two and you will see how Jace was this afternoon. He instantly had hives covering his body, and although I handled it well at the time, when they took him for the LP and Biopsy, I broke down again.

Matt is helping me see, now while I'm writing that maybe the reason today was so hard on me was because I didn't know how to help Jace. Luckily, Matt reacted well once again, and Jace knew his dad understood that sometimes fighting back just helps. Jace wasn't sad. He wasn't scared; he was just plain ticked.

Although the allergic reaction set us back a few hours for the Lumbar Puncture and Bone Marrow Biopsy, they still accomplished these tasks this afternoon, and felt like everything else was looking ok. Although his immune system is also as low as it has been at 200 (they prefer it to be a thousand), we don't have to return to Salt Lake again until Monday.

Today, Jace "Took the bull by the horns," (and his mom was trampled!):) At 4 PM he finally received his reward of Mac & Cheese, Cream Soda, and a comfy ride home.

23 comments:

  1. HEY!!!! YEAH!!! I am so happy that you are almost home again!! And for even more days this time..... :D I love you and can't wait to see you guys!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh, that sounds like a rough day! I'm not sure if I can fully comprehend a ticked off Grover/Leathem combination but I can imagine it was pretty intense! We are happy and relieved that you were still able to head home today. We love you all!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, Amy I am so sorry. Every mom knows how much they love their kids, and to see them frustrated, or hurt in anyway would bring the strongest women ever to tears. I know many have said it before, but I believe our Heavenly Father made mothers extremely strong for one reason. I truly believe it was to be a mom. This is one of the hardest jobs there is, and like you said before there might be bad days, but you wouldn't change it for the world. Your days are much harder then mine, but know that as a mother you are doing the best job you can. Our Heavenly Father would be proud of you and Matt and the great parents you are being to one of his choice little spirits. Jace is one strong little guy, and is being a great example to a lot that are watching his trial. I know the boys can't stop talking about him, and praying that he will get better.
    Have a good week!! Let us know if you need anything.
    The Foster Bunch

    ReplyDelete
  4. This post I think is the funniest! Not because of his allergic reaction (which I know all too well), but because of the Grover, Leatham in his Blood. I have seen Jace tear into Hayden numerous of times. Hayden is bigger, faster, and stronger but Jace doesn't care. If something ticks him off, he will go after it no matter how big, or how strong. This same crazy Jacers, hide behind his front step, on Friday, to drench me with his cute little new squirt gun (paybacks are a bugger). For those of you who don't know Jace personally, he is a fighter and he won’t let a little thing like an allergic reaction or leukemia to bring him down. He a fighter, but he is a dang good kid, who I look up to. Love You Jacers Uncle Luke

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love you Amy. You are in my prayers.
    Love, Paige

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well that kinda stinks that that happened!! You are a tough kid Jacers! I don't think i'm that tough! I'm out on the trampoline looking at the stars and it is amazing! There is so much ahead of us in life and it just kinda stinks that we have to go through rough things in life to get us to the greater things waiting for us. Amy, (let me know it that was inappropriate since you are my teacher :)you are awsome and so strong and you have amazing boys! Hayden stopped and talked to me after their football practice today and asked how I was doing and I feel bad for not beating him to the punch! He told me thank you for the hat and he is just a sweet boy just like your little Ironman! Keep staying strong! It's good to cry (p.s. i'm really bad at crying when I need to) but it does help when you need to!! :) PLEASE let me know if you need anything! My thoughts and prayers are with you daily! I'm so glad you could come home!! Get some rest! It's been a long day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that he has enough energy to be mad! That's gotta be a good thing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I totally know that lethal combination! It can be more powerful than anything right now! You go kid!!! Oh and Reagan wants you to know she is so happy that you're coming HOME!!! Love you, Aunt Natalie

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's probably a good thing he is only 6 and hasn't learned all the words that Eli, Luke, Hank, and Matt say when they are mad. (Notice how I didn't include myself in there.) Ok-just kidding. That fight will get him through some tough days ahead. Grovers and Leathams don't give up!!! Love you buddy. Stay strong!
    J'dee

    ReplyDelete
  10. Amy,
    This is Trina, Corinne's niece. I have been checking Jace's blog everyday and thinking of him every minute. I am so sorry that your family is going through all of this. I pray for you all. What a cute family you have. Let Jace know that he is touching so many people that he has never even met. I can't imagine how you are feeling as a mother. I am thinking of you and wish you all the best.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Grover at his maddest . . . Leatham at his maddest. I bet that hospital room was all tore up. On second thought, is Primary Children's still standing? LOL.


    Eli

    ReplyDelete
  12. Allergic reactions STINK!!! Especially to platelets that are supposed to be making you feel better. I got Benadryl before every chemo treatment to prevent any possible allergic reactions as a just in case precaution. I hated it because it made me sleepy and I would fall asleep about 15 minutes into starting a movie. I'm sure it was scary because you, or mom or dad couldn't control it. You have awesome nurses!!! They had it all under control. You are a trooper!! Enjoy being home!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Amy, Matt, and Jace. Cyndi and I spent some time reading your blog tonight. I tried to think of something to say that would lift you, but realized that you had lifted us. Amy, what a wonderful writer you are. Make sure you save this blog. Focus on your family. Everything else will take care of itself. Lyle and Cyndi Wakefield

    ReplyDelete
  14. One thing you will learn in the world of medicine, something new will always come up:) That's why we call it practicing medicine. We know what is suppose to happen but every body reacts differently. Those darn DNA anyway! On an up note, I believe that we as medical professionals are constantly learning and what we learn from one patient, will certainly help another down the line. So on those days that Jace takes those steps backward, remember that ALL patients are pioneers in medicine. The trail gets rocky and you have to cut a new path and sometimes you have to go back and take a new route altogether. It helps Jace and the next little person coming up behind him. You are always in our prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Amy
    There will always be those little things to throw you off on this journey. Just keep fighting through them and the reward will be when they tell you he's DONE!! I know that's hard to imagine right now, but that day will come and believe me it's the best day ever.. Hang in there..We love you guys..
    Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  16. Amy and Matt,
    Sorry to hear about your frustrating day. I am sure it is quite normal to have a few of those along the way! Hang in there, it can only get better!!
    Kellie Dayton

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a day! Poor Jace!! But after all that he has been through I guess that little guy was entitled to be "ticked". Glad that he got his macaroni and cheese. I hope that being home will help make things a little better! I can only imagine how horrible it was for you Amy to watch and not be able to help him. I'm glad that Matt was there to help you through!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Amy I just heard the news from my mom and just got done reading the entire blog. I can say I haven't cried that hard in a while. I am so sorry for what you and your family are going through right now. Your family is in all of our prayers and thoughts. Seriously if there is anything at all that we can do for you while you are at the hospital we would be more than happy. I have had my share of visits to Primarys with Brayden and don't live far from there at all. My email is mnelly_13@yahoo.com. You are so strong, myself including thousands of others look up to you and your family for finding the strength to fight back and using the Lord to help along the way.
    Michelle (Woolf) Stoddard

    ReplyDelete
  19. Jace,
    Pacers was awesome today! The students ran 57 3/4 miles for you! Add that to the 25 miles last Thursday and you now have 83 miles! There was a group of kids on the monkey bars chanting: "Run Pacers for Iron Man Jace! Run Pacers for Iron Man Jace!" Another group of kids was standing by the donation box encouraging all the kids running to "Put your tokens in the box for Jace!" It was amazing to see how excited the kids were to run for you. Many of them saved up their tokens and as the bell rang they all ran and dropped handfuls of tokens into the box for you. Hibbard loves you Jace! You'll be going with us on the 50 mile field trip in May!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hello, I just learned of Jace from channel 8 news. I just finished reading all of your blog enteries, and only cried a few dozen times. I just want you to know Jace is in my thoughts and prayers. I can't even imagine what you are going through. But being a mom I can imagine all the emotions you are going through. Much love, Lori Johnson - Shelley Idaho

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh Amy...I can't even read any of this without crying. I can't imagine what your little family is going through right now. You have a tough little man and he has a pretty tough mom too. I couldn't believe when i was told last week about his cancer. I remember just a few years ago when he was on my little boy's soccer team. We are praying for your family.
    Natalie Jacobson Hawkins

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh, Mrs. Leatham... I'm so sorry that I haven't posted anything yet. Please know that I pray for you and your family every day. My greatest wish every day is to be able to see you again and give you a hug that you so badly need. The Homecoming Game was something spectacular, and I was SO pleased to see the community aroused like it was. You've got a lot of friends, and we love you. Today I finally had a chance to read through these postings, and I am astounded by his focus and strength. Christ is a GREAT Savior, and I know that he will make everything okay. Here's one of my favorite quotes to hopefully lift your spirits and Jace's:
    "Everything WILL be all right in the end. If it's not all right, it's not the end!"

    My prayers are with you always-
    Grant

    ReplyDelete
  23. So sorry to hear about the allergic reaction. It always seems that on LP days, something always goes wrong to prolong the kids from eating. That same thing has happened to Ethan as well. When he has to go in for a spinal, I've started waking Ethan up at 11:30 at night to give him a PBJ (since they say nothing after mid-night) that way it wont seem quite as long without getting food. Although, when your hungry your hungry. But it has seemed to help with Ethan not being so dreadfully hungry. Glad you guys are back home though!! Your in my thoughts!! -Jenny Weston

    ReplyDelete