Monday, September 21, 2009

Back at PCMC


I'm going to post some new results we just heard, in order to save a dozen phone calls. The majority of you may want to skip this technical stuff, but everyone can rejoice with us when I tell you that things are looking great! We just visited with our attending physician, and he was excited when he looked over the results from the biopsy last week. One intimidating thing we learned is that 95% of the cells in Jace's marrow last Monday were cancerous. With that said, we don't really understand this yet, but maybe some of you will. The Dr. said he found some "SIGNIFICANT" good news: a (12;21) favorable chromosome swap. They call this Tel-Aml 1. Apparently in the smart people world, this is good news. We also think we will be able to come home today.:)!!!!

Jace just received some of his chemo meds, and now we are waiting for platelets (yes, his were too low to go for the other procedures). Jace has been crying because he is sooooo hungry, and he's a little mad that we didn't bring our own Mac n' Cheese. The nurses side-tracked him with a squishy ball to throw at the wall and with an X-box. He's playing now.




I'm on the verge of tears, and I'm not sure why. I'm actually feeling really relieved about so many things. I guess maybe that's it. The nurse, Amy, (-- great name hu?) just asked if anyone has told me this gets easier. I think a few of you have, but you may need to remind me. Last week is a blur, and if is all the same to you, I'm not looking back.:)

15 comments:

  1. yay! i guess my anat and phys class taught me something cuz i can understand what your saying!! not saying im smart ha ha!!im so glad everything is looking good!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great news!! I am so glad that you might get to come home today and not stay at the hospital. Hope everything continues to go well today. We are praying for you bud. Keep being strong!
    Love Shawn, Melissa, Lish and Ky

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are so glad its good news!! Unlike the last comment, I dont understand (except the platelet problem) but am none the less very excited..
    Crying is ok Amy.. maybe nobody has said that, but sometimes crying helps. especially when its a relief cry!! right?
    Good luck on the next procedures Jace!! You continue to amaze us all with how the iron man nick name fits you OH so well..
    Loves, The Twitchells

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey there!!! YEAH!!! I am so glad that its looking like you get to come home! :D I am ready for a rematch of apples to apples! And Jace.... I am so glad you wore the best colors.... BLUE AND WHITE!!! haha..... :D Just teasin.... I guess red is good too!! :D Love you guys.... and good luck this afternoon. Hope I get to come visit tom! STAY STRONG!!
    Kort

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's great news Amy! Oh, I hope you guys can come back home today! We'll continue to stalk you by looking through the field at your house to see if anyone is there. :) Let me know if there's anything we can do to help.

    Good luck today Jace!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hurray !!!! Gabby is hollering 'HAPPY! Jace!' through the house. I guess she understands the chromosomal swap, the rest of us don't, but it must be the miracle we prayed for last night. Love all of you! Can't wait to see you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Matt & Amy. Our family heard about Jace, I think the night that he was diagnosed, and have been thinking and praying for you all since. I have been out of town for a week and finally had a chance yesterday to check out your blog. Wasn't ready for this. I think you should recomend everyone start reading at the beginning. They might be able to contain their sobs a little easier. I lost a son at the age of 18 months, and it was so hard, but I know that everything does happen for a reason, and Heavenly Father will not give us anything that we can't handle. How blessed you are to have such wonderful friends and family around you. Thank you so much for sharing your story. We will continue to pray for your family. Good luck to all of you, but especilly you Jace! Stay strong, tough, and sweet to your family. we hope to meet you someday when you are feeling tons better.Love Jeff and Jory Janson

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jace,

    Hey buddy. I just came across your blog! I want to tell you, that you are one strong little man! I work at a cancer center up in CANADA, and I work with grown ups who aren't half as strong as you are. You are such an inspiration to me. You have an amazing family who loves you. Keep your head up. I look forward to following you into remission.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm so glad things are going well!! Its been killing me all morning not knowing whats been going on haha to bad we don't have a computer in every class! It kills me to walk past your dark classroom! We do miss you here! :) It does get easier I promise (only knowing from my sisters experience)! Hope you guys do get to come home today!! You are so strong Jacers!! Let me know if you want some olives? :) Love you guys!! You are so strong! You're in my prayers always!! ~Chelsea

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh yeah!! I'm wearing my hat for you today buddy!!! :) Be strong Ironman!! You too Ironmom and Irondad!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. What great news, we'll keep praying for the best!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. My Dad is in your Ward (Rick Clements) and told me about Jace and your blog. I hope that you don't mind me reading. I too am a Mother and my "mother-heart" desires to stand by you during this. While I am a stranger to you and your family, please tell Jace "Howdy"! Let him know that our family of eight has been praying for "y'all" all the way down here in Texas.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Amy- Do you have an email as an alternative to your blog? We must have a lot of people in common. I have been approached a few times about your family (we live fairly close to you & our daughter also has ALL). I commented awhile back & understand the whirlwind you are in the midst of right now, but would love to touch base for a moment. (If you get a chance-leave your email on your blog or email me. natalie-taylor@hotmail.com.) Good luck- they are right, it does get better. Stay strong.

    ReplyDelete