Saturday, September 12, 2009

Central Line


The surgeon just came and explained that they need to put in a "Central Line" for Jace to receive chemo. They will imbed a permanent tube in his vein on his neck so all treatments can be given there. We've also received word that Jace will receive a lumbar puncture (spinal tap) to see if the cancer has reached his brain, and a bone marrow Aspirate and Biopsy to determine which type of leukemia Jace actually has. Hopefully all of this can be done under anesthesia. The doctor has not been in yet this morning. We were told it will be around 9 before we see the attending doc.

Jace did receive a blood transfusion in the night. He is receiving the last of the blood now. He's sleeping peacefully, and Matt and I are just watching him. When the resident doctor explained the risks of the transfusion and asked if we wanted to go ahead with the procedure, Matt and I were both choked up. We couldn't answer. After a minute of silence, I asked her if she has kids. I wanted to know if she would do it for her own child. She said absolutely. We then agreed.

10 comments:

  1. Oh Amy!!!! You are SOOOO STRONG!!! KEEP IT UP!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your mom just informed me - we had no idea and thought you were just busy with ES - so sorry! I will let the Department know. So glad you're blogging - you won't have to take a million phone calls. Our prayers will focus on Jace and your family. What an amazing little boy. Please let me know if I can do something at school for you. Love you, Janene

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amy, our prayers are with Jace and your family. My favorite 'adversity quote' is "All crosses are easier to carry if we keep moving."
    ~Neal A. Maxwell

    Love to you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Our thoughts and prayers are with you! Please don't worry about ES. We will cover ES. If you need any of us we are here for you and your family!!! Love Nanc

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for blogging! I have been checking all morning to see what is going on! Keep it up! I'm thinking about you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. i love our little jacer :( let us know if there is anything that we can do for you..you have lots and lots of people here for you!! adn we'd do anything! tell jacer i said love him!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Although I have never met Jace...I sit here with my heart aching for him and you. I look at his picture and the freckles across his nose and see a spitting image of Matt. I know that if he is anything like his Dad, he has a fire in him that doesn't stop!!! I know that from growing up right next door to Matt. He can do this!! The image of the little engine that could keeps coming into mind...I think I can, I think I can, I think I can...Go get 'em Jace!!! We are rooting for you here.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Matt and Amy,

    Our prayers are with your family. We pray the Lord's Spirit will comfort and strengthen you during this time. We love you.

    Bishop Bell

    ReplyDelete
  9. Amy, you are quickly being surrounded by love and prayers. Please know that we are with you in spirit. Your wonderful little Jace will be watched over and strengthened. We will be sending you all the "positive energy" we can. Thank you for starting the blog so we can know what is going on.
    Love you!
    Jan Robison

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow Amy and Matt as I read the comments I can see how much love surrounds you and your family. We too love you so much. We have all shared tears and heartache with you. We would do anything for you. Please let us know if we can help. My family lives and works right there and if you need anything or a place to stay or shower or get away please just let us know. Give Jace a Kiss. We love you.

    ReplyDelete