Saturday, September 19, 2009

"What Matters Most"

"I believe that among the greatest lessons we're to learn in this short sojourn upon earth are lessons that help us distinguish between what is important and what is not. And what is most important almost always involves the people around us. Often we assume that they must know how much we love them, but we should never assume. We should let them know."
President Thomas S. Monson (YouTube, Mormon Messages, What Matters Most).
http://www.youtube.com/user/mormonmessages?blend=1&ob=4

So, right now, I'm not going to assume you know. I'm going to tell you. The outpouring of love our family has received is beyond comprehension. Tonight I'd like to especially reach out to our Madison Bobcat family.

Tearfully Jace and I watched Matt and Hayden go to Madison's Homecoming Football game. We had to push Matt out the door, because he didn't know if he was ready to be in public, but we knew he had to support Hayden who has been going to these games since he was in the womb. What Matt and Hayden found within Bobcat Territory were hundreds of people cheering for our little boy. From the players having Iron Man Jace #33 written on their arms, to the crowd who beckoned him in, Matt was overcome with emotion and love for our friends, family, and town. He recalled as many details as he could to me, and from what I understand baskets were passed around for donations and fundraising tables were set up selling bracelets, stickers and Bobcat cards: all in Jace's name. Unbelievable.

It's pretty overwhelming you know. Like I said before, I'm not sure Matt and I deserve this outpouring. But we are being carried by your love, and we have to tell you how amazing it is to feel your strength and support.

Jace had a good day at home. He ate Popsicles with Grandpa, and he perfected his skill in squirting water off the front porch from the giant syringes the hospital sent home with him. Two uncles and Grandpa were drenched in the process, and I even had to get after Jace for being so lively. His bursts of energy are quite short lived though, as I noticed after every rambunctious few minutes, he would collapse to the comfort of the couch and the comfy blankets. Tonight he had a sad face the minute his brother and dad left.

"It stinks being sick, Mom," he said, as his heart broke that he wasn't going to the football game. Matt asked him if he'd rather Matt didn't go. Jace replied, "You should take Hayden." And so it was...we played Uno for an hour, I held him on the couch for two, and he restlessly drifted off to sleep. I watched my son breath in and out, wondering about the days to come. He cries when he thinks about losing his hair, and he cries when he thinks about going back to the hospital. My "tender mercy" tonight is thinking of a sea of red, white, and grey...and the love those colors represent on Homecoming night in our little town. Thank you for helping us remember What Matters Most. We love you all.

10 comments:

  1. It's good to know that Bobcat Power still lives on!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amy and Jace,

    I didn't go to the game tonight either. But Jaxson and Kinsley both told me all about the IronMan signs and table. What matters most right now is that you get keep fighting so you can get better. You hang in there. We're all cheering for you!!
    Love
    The Hodges

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know about all that bobcat power!! Just kidding.I know there are a lot of people that sure care about you. Just think of the party we will have when you are all better Jace. It will be bigger then any homecoming game. It will be a celebration of you Jace running and playing, and someday you will be the one playing in those football games. You stay tough little guy, and if you need anything you just let us know. We will get it to you. Hugs and loves from Garrett, Britt, Nakeaden & Ax

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautifully written once again, Amy. I wish I could give you a hug. You'll have to have a virtual one instead. {{hug}}

    ReplyDelete
  5. Matt, Amy, Hayden & Jace,
    I was at the game. We do live in a pretty amazing community. Matt it was great to see you there. YOU DO DESERVE ALL THIS, they call it pay it forward. I was sitting in the stands when 2 HS girls came up to their dad and had to show him their bracelets they bought! The whole feeling of support for your family was overwhelming even as a participant. I couldn't help but smile every time your family was mentioned. We love you, what more is there to say.
    Jace your are on a winning team that's for sure!! You better work on your victory dance for when you score that winning TD in this game! GO! FIGHT! WIN! Tami Clements

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would like to first introduce myself. Not more then 2 months ago I got a very frighting call from my sister. She only told me to get to the hospital. That is when I found out my 10 year old nephew Michael Jones was diagnoses with the same thing.
    I went with my sister to Primary Children's. I can remember it like yesterday. All the doctor's, nurses, and all the information that they gave us was overwhelming.
    My sister not being of any religion, I took it upon myself to get a hold of the friends I had in Salt Lake to find someone to give Michael a blessing. To this day, I know it did something.
    Since Michael was diagnoses on May 29th, we have seen his ups and downs. I have seen my sister stress over those. I took over her finances so she could concentrate on taking care of Michael.
    We live in such an amazing community that comes together when we need them most.
    If I could say only one thing to you, it is to stay postive. Primary Childrens, and Dr. Hancock are wonderful. I would also say from my sisters point of few, is to contact someone that is in your trial. When Cindy would feel like she was all alone, she would call Chad or Ben who both have had children beat this disease, and they would tell her to stay positive. I would love to talk to you, or have Michael and Jace talk. Michael is in his 16th week of treatment, and is always looking for someone to talk to. Michael is now being home schooled.

    And last but not least, I would like to send you a donation from the Michael Jones Leukemia Fund, to ease your mind, at least a little, with all the expenses that you have accured.

    If you would be willing please send me a e-mail, so I can send you the donation, and also if you would like to talk with Cindy when either of you are feeling down. Also to maybe get Michael and Jace talking, since they are so close in their treatments, going through the same feelings, and just talking about Football.

    Tyler, Montana, Hunter, and I will keep you in our prayers, and also go to Temple and put Jace's name in the prayer book from Idaho Falls.

    Thanks you and even through the up's and down's we both have strong happy boys, that will overcome and beat this.

    Your friend,

    Barb Harker

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looking through your pictures, I went and looked at Michael's. They are so familiar. Michael's updates and pictures are on
    www.carepages.com (michaelisourboy)

    ReplyDelete
  8. The game yesterday was truly amazing!! As I carried the baskets around it was so amazing how many people care about you guys and are so willing to help!!! Jace I firmly believe those boys were playing for you last night! When they were in their huddle right before the game started i'm pretty sure they yelled Jace, before they started their first play!! Those boys love you!! We all do! I hope you are enjoying your hats!! And Jace don't be worried about loosing your hair! :) I think bald boys are cute!! :) You do deserve everything that was done for you last night!! You have done so much for this Bobcat Family Mrs. Leatham!! Love you tons!!! Please call if you need anything! Stay strong! My prayers and thoughts are with you everyday!!
    ~Chelsea Christensen

    ReplyDelete
  9. Amy - I just want Jace to know that he has a wonderful Mom (and Dad and brother). As long as I have known you you have always been such an amazing lady. I sat down today for the first time to read the whole blog from the start. I felt overwhelemed, I cried. I cant imagine all of you. You are ALL in my prayers. Kenzie called me the other day and we both remembered when you had Jace. You took the year off of being cheer coach to have the little guy. We all love that sweet boy because we've known him since the beginning. Tell Jace we love him, and we love YOU too Amy :)
    ~Kaeli

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jace, you're right being sick does STINK!! Hang in there and keep beating everyone at Uno!!

    ReplyDelete