Monday, October 5, 2009
Great Numbers
The theme of the day: No transfusions and great numbers. Yay. We know it's a product of our combined prayers, because Jace is doing wonderfully. His body is responding well to the chemo, and he is proving his nickname true-- he is the Iron Man. Part of the best news today is that his ANC actually rose from a .3 to a 2.3. This is an incredible leap which means, our green flag is flying. Healthy visitors are welcome.
After a thorough check-up by Dr. Hancock, Jace did receive another chemo treatment today, from some loving nurses. Our network of support grows daily as we meet new faces who care about our little boy. Everyone at Dr. Hancock's office took their time with us and had real conversations with our concerns and worries. We love PCMC, but we are also excited to finish our induction cycle and receive more treatments close to home.
Jace's face is also officially round, and he's starting to show real signs of teenage acne. His pants which used to fall down on him are also a tight fit. A few nights ago, as he was snuggling between Matt and me in our bed, he tenderly said, "I'm sure getting some chicken on these bones." He rubs his hand around and around on his bloated stomach and wonders how he is so hungry when his tummy looks so full.
I’ve never been a numbers girl- you know, English teacher and all. Honestly, don’t tell me a number for anything, because I won’t remember it. But today I’m holding onto a HCT of 28.1 %, PLT 88 K/uL, and ANC 2.3. Everything improved. Today Jace is ok, and right now even for me, the numbers really matter.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I couldn't resist being the 1st to comment. It's pretty much an honor to be able to do so. HEHE! I'm proud of you Jace for being such a tough, little dude! I'm also proud of your mom, dad and Hayd. They are troopers to say the least. Way to go Leathams! We love you guys! Even if it's from afar. : (
ReplyDeleteWOW!
ReplyDeleteWe are so excited for those numbers! I have been checking all day to see how things went. We love that little round face and all the ones that surround him. You sure looked brave at the Dr's office. What a pro! Also, we love the picture of Jace and Hayden. You are so lucky to have such a great older brother he has been the silent Ironman and we admire him for that too. Keep up the good work we love you all! B & T
Oh my. . . I can't tell you what this post means to me!!! It made my entire day and night and week and even probably month!!! Hip Hip Horray!!!! I'm so excited for the great news! We have been focusing on all of the positive and these numbers are so great! Way to go Iron Man!!! Love, Aunt Natalie
ReplyDeleteOh, yes! i have been waiting to find out how your day went today. I am so glad that his numbers are up. I don't understand it all, but
ReplyDeleteI know that Heavenly Father is watching over you. You are an iron man, Jace! You are the cutest iron man I have ever seen! And you are surrounded by amazing people who love you! :) Lots of love, Stacie and fam
I am so glad to hear that Jace is doing so well. It is great to see Haydan doing well too. I still owe him some jerky! Hang in there and keep the faith. Heavenly father is watching out for all of you. I know it is tough to go through but I can see the angels surrounding you!! Love you all!!
ReplyDeleteIt was so great to read your blog tonight and hear good news. We pray that there will be many more days like this. Jantzen is in Texas this week with his family; I know he would love to come visit Jace when he returns and if it's a good time for Jace. Mrs. Perkes thinks you are an amazing teacher - hard to fill your shoes. She says she is getting a whole new perspective on how teachers must have felt about her own kids. We still miss you at school, but feel confident Jace will have a very bright future. Love you, Janene
ReplyDeleteI don't know your family, nor do you know me. However, I have been silently watching your blog and have been reading it everyday. Today was the day for me to finally leave a comment. I want to congratulate you all on the great news! I have had some experience with PCMC and the care cannot get any better. If you have to be at a hospital, that is the place to be. They perform miracles there everyday! I first heard about Jace on the news and have since been reading daily and praying for your family, what a powerful tool we have ... prayer. Heavenly Father is definitley with you through all of this, as are many others who are praying. What an inspiration and example you all are to so many people, a lot of whom don't even know you personally. I will continue to watch and I hope you continue to write. Keep being tough Iron Man!!
ReplyDeleteHey dear friends, I have enjoyed sitting back and not commenting these last couple of days. Not that I haven't read the blog everyday, just a little more tired at the end of the day and have just enjoyed reading than writing. There's definitely nothing better than to see brothers side by side and just "being". What great, great news Jace. Riely was so excited this past week to know that you didn't have to return to PCMC until October 12th. Also Jace that you are pretty famous - almost ROCKSTAR famous since he heard about you on the radio today.:D I believe he looks forward to your updates Hayden. What wonderful blessings you have been blessed with this week. We pray as always that it continues. Don't worry about that "extra chicken on the bones" it will help to keep you warm in this snow. You should only worry when you start to grow feathers. :D
ReplyDeleteHave a super day tomorrow, Erin
Hey Amy, We have been checking in now and then. I am so excited for the good news!! You are a great mother and example. I know Heavenly Father is very aware of us all, and I am so glad he listens and answers prayers. We will be keeping Jace and your family in ours. Love-Scott and Melinda (Kunz) Page
ReplyDeleteAll I can say is WOOHOO!!! Got to love good numbers!! Jace, I hope you did the "Happy Dance!" It's got to be a great feeling...like scoring a touchdown or homerun!!
ReplyDeleteYah! We have been checking on you every day. Ben loves to sit on my lap and look at the pictures, he doesn't know many words, but he can say "Jace" when ever he sees the pictures. Jace keep up the good work and the positive attitude, you are a strong little boy and will be a great example to those around you. Hayden, you are the best big brother a kid could ever have! Take care of yourself and Jace, and hopefully we will be able to see you guys again soon! Love, The Jenks'
ReplyDeleteYeah I'm so glad the numbers are improving! Jace you are a funny kid "getting chicken on these bones". Not only are you a funny kid but a strong one who is helping all of us more than you will ever know. I'm glad that you get to spend time with Hayden this week and that you don't have to go to Utah until next week.
ReplyDeleteSWEET!!!! When I was on steroids and started getting a round face, I always wished it was around Halloween time. Think of the possibilities!! Love to you all.
ReplyDeleteMelissa
Yay! I'm so happy for the good news!! Sorry I haven't been writing lately, spuds has been keepin me pretty busy but I have been reading the updates every night when I get home. You guys are such a great example to me! Keep smiling and keep your chin up! You are so strong Iron Fam! :)
ReplyDelete~Chelsea