Saturday, October 10, 2009

"He's My Son"

Jace doesn’t sleep well, and this morning is no exception. It is 4 AM, and we are sitting on the couch together. He just ate a full bowl of oatmeal, a thick piece of sliced cheese, and a bowl of Ramen noodles (Believe me, I try to talk him out of them). He is playing his new Lego Star Wars game on the Wii, but he needs me, “To hold his legs.” I just checked my email, and a friend recommended a song for me to find. It only took seconds before I had it downloaded and my tears were freely flowing. It is called “He’s My Son” by Michael Shultz. It’s a good one, but I’m thinking I should issue a warning. Parents beware. If you don’t have tissue, I would wait until you do-- Especially if your child has ever had to endure anything difficult. Is that a given when you are a parent?

Most of Jace’s days for the last week have been spent on the couch. Yesterday in an attempt to get his legs working, I asked him to carry his laundry to his room upstairs. He agreed, stood, and put his arms out to gather the pile of clothes I held. After three or four steps up, his arms were tired, and he begged me to take the pile back. Then he sat down on the step and didn’t have the energy to rise. It is difficult to watch him feel so crumby. Hayden was two steps ahead of him and watched Jace give out. He put his own pile down and came back for his brother. Although Hayden offered to carry Jace up, Jace was determined to “make it” by himself.

We are going to try to go to the Pay it Forward Fun Run sponsoring Jace today, but we are unsure of how he will feel. Our lives and activity are decided hour by hour. This morning as he tucks my hair behind my ear over and over, I am grateful for this hour I am spending with “My Son.”

6 comments:

  1. Hi Jace, Hayden, Amy and Matt,

    My name is Christina Plank. I work with Amy and we are in the same, new stake. I normally don't make any comments, but I read this blog almost daily. I just wanted to say thank you to each of you for sharing your story, your pictures, your faith, and your strength. You are touching the lives of so many people - people you know and people you haven't met yet. Thank you. Amy - tears aren't a sign of weakness. Remember, Jesus wept. Tears just mean you care.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Hayden- I am tired from that fun run, I'm wonderin' if you will come carry me up my stairs? ;)
    Love you guys-
    e

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Leathams,
    It was sure nice to see you all yesterday at the fun run! Jace, you are amazing. I am sure that it was hard to come all the way to Idaho Falls, especially when you really would rather be at home. You are our superhero! Thanks for being sooooo strong!Hayden, I loved the way you ran EVERY race. You are an awesome brother. Jace is lucky to have you! And Amy and Matt...I wish I could take some of your pain away! You are incredible parents! We only saw a small piece of your support system, yet you were well supported. You are so loved!Thank you for letting us share in your day!
    Stacie and fam

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Matt and Amy, this is Jed Leishman. Candice and I just wanted you to know we've been following everything with Jace and are prayin for you guys. Tell Jace to hang in there...if there's one thing I know it's that Leatham + Grover = TOUGH!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope you get feeling better bud. Good luck tomorrow-I will be waiting to see you tomorrow night. Take it easy on the nurses.
    Love you- talk to you soon-
    SKYELAR

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good luck tomorrow. As always you are in our heart, thoughts and prayers!! Brent and Maureen

    ReplyDelete