I didn’t know when I wrote that last post that it was going to literally rain and rain the same night. Ironically it was also the ONE night we had plans to be outside in the next 3 1/2 years.
Because Skyline was coming to Madison last night they decided to bring it to the high school football game half-time. Not only did they bring it, they graciously asked if our own Grid Kid and Flag Football kids would make the presentation—“Because it would mean more.”
You should have seen how excited Jace was to be at the game in the pouring rain. We bundled him in layers, parked the pick-up early on the front row so we could watch until half, and tried to keep him in it until the buzzer sounded for half-time to start. We didn't quite make it that long, and as he walked up to the fence surrounding the football field, he was thrilled to be back in healthy boy's land. Of course Matt and I stood over him with umbrellas, but the excitement in the air from the game was contagious, and Jace wore a genuine happy smile.
Walking from the south, we met at the 50 yard line-- 100 little boys from ages 6 to 12 walking from the north, and Jace received his framed, autographed jersey. The most incredible thing then happened as we walked off the field. As we turned to go, many of the boys walked back WITH us and threw positive, encouraging words to Jace on his journey to the end zone.
“You are awesome, Jace!”
“Jace, you are so tough!”
“I can’t believe you made it tonight!”
“Jace, you are my hero!”
It cemented in my mind the concept that all kids are heroes, and for Jace nothing could have been more powerful than that group of peers shouting those encouraging words for him.
My only regret for the evening was that I didn’t turn to the Skyline crowd and wave—and I didn’t turn to the Madison crowd and wave—a gesture of genuine thanks. I think I heard the announcer say something on the microphone like, “Sometimes communities come together for a common good.” We felt supported by Madison and Skyline fans alike, and were shocked to find that in addition to the Madison fans, the Skyline fans also collected cash at the game for our family. Not only will Jace cherish the jersey, he will have one more experience to put in his armor to fight for good.
Thank you Doug, Shane, Kerr, Matt Hasselbeck, Boys, and everyone involved for making our dance in the rain an event we will never forget.

That is so awesome!! Brent went to school at Skyline (when he went) so when I read him the post you could almost see his chest puff up.
ReplyDeleteYou are alsways in our heart, thoughts and prayers!!
Keep Smiling
Brent & Maureen
Amy, You just softened the Skyline rivelry I felt every time I played against them. Just prooves there are amazing people all around.
ReplyDeleteI love this picture of you there at the game under the red & white umbrella !!! Great halftime...we do live in an amazing community the whole upper valley has some pretty great people living here.
ReplyDeleteLOVE the picture! It turned out amazing! Sorry we didn't make it! Jade and Dylan are sick and I had a reunion! I talked to Kerr the night before the game and he was really excited! I had no clue that Hayden had a game here yesterday.... tell him I would of came to watch if I knew! I heard he did great though! WAY TO GO HAYDEN & JACE!!!!
ReplyDeleteLove you all, Aunt Natalie
How neat for Jace! My Jayce came home and said he was at the game. At first I thought "what, its raining outside" then he told me the rest of the story and it really was fitting for your earlier post wasn't it. It is so neat how communties do pull together and your experience helps all of us be a little bit better in our every day lives. What a cute picture of the four of you and Jace's smile makes me smile! He is a hero and so is his brother and Mom and Dad!
ReplyDeleteIt really was a dance in the rain. I have to admit that I let a few tears sneak out watching your family walk to meet all of those little boys led by grown men setting such a positive example. It was even more special knowing it was for Jace but it made me wish that kind acts like this got more media attention than those silly parents trying to take out their kids coaches. That night and that gesture are truly what sports are about. We love you guys!
ReplyDeleteJaxson was so excited to be a part of that night and even more excited that he saw Jace.
ReplyDeleteDear Jace and Amy,
ReplyDeleteI read your post daily and it strengthens me. You are in my thoughts and prayers. And by the way, we are in Skyline's territory now! Your family is in Good Hands...
It was so great to see you all out at the game! Jace really did look great we all thought. I still can't believe what a little sweetheart he is. When I walked towards him, he lifted his little umbrella as high as he could to keep me out of the rain! We love you all and were excited for Jace's big night!
ReplyDeleteSo do you think that Jace will take it easy on Skyline when he plays them in High School? Doubt it.
ReplyDeleteThat is so neat. I would have loved to have been there and seen that. Jace, you are an amazing young man and we all pray for you . You are a true hero!
ReplyDelete