As I looked at Jace during his chemo treatment yesterday, I noticed the logo on the T-shirt he wore said, "The Invincible Iron Man." In so many ways, Jace's nickname fits.
Saturday, Jace wanted to go in to Hayden’s baseball practice (Yes, in Idaho we practice baseball in the gym until April). As he longingly looked at the batting cage, the coaches talked him into trying his hand at bat. I stood in the shadows afraid and nervous, but watched as Matt and Corey helped him find a helmet. I knew his arms and legs were weak, and his energy was short lived, so I hoped he wasn’t disappointed with his own ability…but I wished for the best.
Would you believe, our little Iron Man started CRANKING the ball? Hit after hit, we watched him connect, and we listened to the beautiful sound of a baseball hitting a big barrel. As I tried to hide my tears, Hayden asked “Why are you crying? Are you scared he is going to get hurt or something?”
I didn’t know how to explain my emotions—which after a few days thought I’d say were the culmination of many fears, hopes, and worries assuaged with the ringing of the bat and ball. Awww, the healing power of baseball. I’ve always known it was my favorite sport. To Hayden I replied, “I’m just happy.”
As Jace finished, he trotted back to us across the gym. Although he looked more like a young colt horse, running for the first time, the smile across his face was priceless. “Did you see that?!” he beamed.
Yes, Jace. We saw you prove once again that, where there is a will, there IS a way… and it was beautiful.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Wow, what an amazing boy you have. I cried when I read today's post. He will beat this... we know it.
ReplyDeleteLove
Dustin and Shawnee Orr
I could only imgine what that was like to of been there and experience his facial expressions! His facial expressions mean the world to me! A good friend gave me great advice when Jace was diagnosed he said, "always remember to tell him you love him!!!!" I LOVE YOU JACERS!!!
ReplyDeleteJace you inspire me! All 4 of you inspire me!!!
ReplyDeleteLove Nanc Winmill
awe i just started crying at work :( i miss you guys! love you guys so much!!!!
ReplyDeleteaub :)
It was great seeing you at Hayden's game the other night. I'm not sure when Hayden is practing, but Max is at the Junior High every saturday at 3:00. Jacob is always with us, so if you want to come and hang out with Jacob, he would love it.
ReplyDeleteLove,
The Moores
Hi Jace,
ReplyDeleteYou are really brave when you get shots. I'm not that brave. I'm glad you could have fun hitting some balls Saturday. I bet you hit them really far. We got another new student named Jeremy. He is from Peru. I hope you are feeling good today. I miss you at school. Your friend, Josten
Jace, it was so nice to see you at the game the other night! Can't wait till baseball season!
ReplyDeleteWay to go Jace! That is so good, we still think about you all the time!
ReplyDeleteMelissa