You are familiar with the term, “Seventh-Inning Stretch,” right? As I’ve watched Jace this week and looked ahead for the final “innings” to arrive, “a good stretch” is the best way I know to describe what his week has been like. After enduring an uncomfortable and tense competition of good cells overtaking bad cells, we are all stretching this week-- regrouping, and waiting to watch the victory unfold. We are officially in Cycle 5 (of 6), and we are very excited to finish it and start Maintenance.
Luckily for us, Jace loves his team. His nurses, Dr. Hancock, and the staff at Teton Oncology are the highlight of his week, and he looks forward to seeing them. Jace has also made a new friend with cancer, Mark Steiner. Last night Mark and Jenny solidified Jace’s favorite MLB team to the Red Sox by bringing him a new hat and shirt. Not only are we grateful for new friends, but we are grateful Jace has someone else who really understands what he is feeling. (Thanks for the photo, Jenny!)
We signed Jace up to play baseball, though Matt and I are fighting about appropriate protective gear. I’m thinking Jace should constantly wear catcher’s equipment. You know, the whole enchilada…covering him from head to toe. Matt is saying we can just get some padded Under Armor for his chest (covering his port), and unfortunately for me, Jace is siding with his dad on this one. Apparently he doesn’t want to be the only boy in the field looking like an armadillo…and Matt assures Jace they WILL win this fight. Man! (literally) I hate being outnumbered.
I don't know if this is big enough to cover the port, but do you remember that team we played in the Madison tournament last summer? I think it was one of the teams from Montana, but one of their pictures wore a protective gear to cover his heart, maybe Jace could wear something like that under his shirt? Hang in there, I guess look on the bright side. At least there is a baseball program there that he can participate in and he has good friends and coaches that will understand and help him in any way possible. And you know that he will love every minute of it! Is he moving up to kid pitch? Good Luck, I am SOOO jealous that you guys are starting all ready!
ReplyDeleteIf you still want me to email you those pictures let me know! I would have last night, but I don't have your email. I tried posting a comment earlier and I don't think it worked, so if this is a repeat I apologize:)
ReplyDeleteHey you guys - you made it to CYCLE 5 yahoo!!
ReplyDeleteGo Jace!! YOU CAN DO THIS!!!!!
I hope you don't mind but I came across your blog via Mark Steiner's and I can't tell you how incredibly touched I am by your strength, Iron Man's too. I grew up in Rexburg (withers was my last name) and I too have a first grader. I just sat here and cried while I read your blog. I have been put in charge of organizing a fund raiser through my work. We are teaming up with Relay for Life, and now I truly know why I am doing this. Thank you.
ReplyDeleteValerie Withers Berger
Dear Jace,
ReplyDeleteGuess what? I remember Mark Steiner when he was a little boy playing baseball!! He was a great center fielder!! He is a champion just like you.
I love watching you practice! You sure hit the ball hard! I told your Grandpa Grover all about it. He is so proud of you!
Sure love you Jacer! I am still waiting for our play date!
I miss you Jace at school! I cant wate to see you at school! get feeling better soon Jace! good luck in basebol! have a good day!
ReplyDeleteLove shelly sommer