Thank you for your honest, sincere thoughts. If you are really reading then I'll continue writing publicly, and with your permission I'll vent once in a while too. My heart is full with the kind things you said-- so in a few months I may need you to mass comment just to buoy me again.:) Although in most situations I've appreciated the lack of conversation when it comes to Jace, once in a while it's nice when someone acknowledges that he's still in treatment. Hands down the most common comment I hear about Jace is, "He looks so good! He's not still having chemo is he? I thought he was over that."
We did leave his February treatment counting on TWO HANDS the treatments he has left: 9 months; 3 LPs and 9 total IV Vincristine treatments....woo hoo! The talk lately with the doctors is that of removing his Port-a-Cath. Jace wants to play Grid Kid Football this fall, but he has that dang Port sticking up and off his ribs. I have really been campaigning steadily against football- but what do moms know? I also thought BOTH docs would be on my side, but when I gingerly asked them (in front of Jace) if..."Tennis isn't a better option? or Golf?..." every man (including Hayden, Matt, the Docs, and Jace) in the room acted like the traitors they are and said football will be fine!
Jace's awesome nurses have also been talking to him about making a "WISH." We were told in the beginning of treatments that Jace would be a candidate for "Make-A-Wish," but we really have been so consumed with treatments and life-- that we haven't given it much thought. Even now, Jace is having a really hard time concentrating on it. His very first response to...If you could have anything in the world, what would it be??? was: "I wish there was no cancer."
There was a cute toddler finishing his last chemo treatment at the doctor's office the last time we were there. The nurses brought the boy into Jace's room and introduced them. I watched as Jace sat up to talk to the two-year-old, and I cried a little when Jace talked in a soft, cute voice looking directly into the little guy's eyes. Then Jace reached his fist out and pounded knuckles with his cancer brother. Talk about powerful.
Thank you again for staying with us. I quit Facebook, but if you don't comment here, I'd love to hear from you via email: mattnamyleigh@msn.com
Love you all.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Add us to the list of people who read and love your blog--- hard times and "hard" feelings included. I think your words will be an aide to so many people in the future. We all think things like this happen to other people and your writings help us focus on the important things in life. Your way with words is amazing. Your whole family is awesome!
ReplyDeleteOoh, I just wanted to add, have you heard of "Be the Match"? It's a bone marrow donation site. I'm so grateful Jace's cancer did not get to the BMT stage, but if you felt like you wanted to "give back" to those who do get to that stage, you can host a drive or just sign up yourself. I realize this is a painful process to donate, but just knowing my healthy cells may be a match to a child is so rewarding. AND, I just met a dad at Texas Children's who's son has leukemia. It took them "only a month" to find a match. I didn't realize it took that long for the right cells to match, and that time frame is considerably short in comparison to other children waiting. Anyway, if you feel this is something you're interested in, their site is marrow.org. Hope your Sunday is bright and beautiful!!
ReplyDeleteWe read and we love you guys! It is strange to think of how much our lives have changed in the last 2 years, and all the while Jace has been battling away. I am sure it has seemed like such a long journey, and how wonderful that the finish line is in sight! Mark agrees with the football idea, as long as there is still time to cheer on the RedSox. Thank you for writing and letting us be a part of your lives.
ReplyDeleteThe Steiners
Our family anxiously awaits your postings to track how Jace (and the rest of the family) are doing. You all have made such a positive impact on our lives. Can't wait for baseball season to start so we can hopefully see you. Know that we are pulling for you through the good times and the bad!
ReplyDeleteThe Martins
I also read your blog! I don't comment as often as I read, but your family is still in my thoughts and prayers often! Jace is a hero to so many!
ReplyDeleteAmy, Just checking in occassionally but always concerned for your family. We are still supporters even though you don't hear from us often. You have an amazing family. Love you! Diann
ReplyDeleteAmy, I've not commented before, but do read and feel a connection with you as I am also a teacher. I love seeing the pictures of your sweet boys and hearing your honest thoughts--the good, the bad, and the ugly (although there's not much ugly). Thanks for keeping your blog going! Sending thoughts and prayers!
ReplyDeleteAmy, I read this blog every once in awhile and don't normally comment. You and your family are an inspiration to me as well as many other people. I'm so glad that Jace can count the number of treatments left on one hand, what amazing news that is. Keep up the great work!!! Take care!!
ReplyDeleteAmy,
ReplyDeleteThank you can never be enough for sharing your families experience with all of us. Jordyn and I have kept up with Jace through your blog and we have appreciated how you explain a childs illness and a family who takes it on with strength and courage. We wish you all the best in whatever you decide to do with your blog.
Hansen family
I have been following your blog since the start and I love hearing how Jace and all of you are doing. The hardest part about living 2600 miles away from the town I grew up in is not being there to support those that meant the world to me in high school. I looked up to you more than you will ever know, and I still do. Thank you for letting me feel apart of your journey so far away through your blog. I love that you are so honest and sincere with each post and wish you the very best these next 9 months.
ReplyDeleteMelissa Katseanes (Dowdy)
We love hearing from you and how everyone is.Please give everyone in the family a huge hug. We miss everyone so much. This is my only way to keep up on things. If you decide to go private this is my email address nicholethadley@yahoo.com
ReplyDeleteLuv you all!
You don't know me but I follow your blog. Whenever I get a second to check my favorite blogs (which is not that often) yours is on my list. My daughter had ALL when she was 4. She is now almost 10 and is doing amazing. Believe it or not, she doesn't remember much about the over two years of treatment. I remember EVERYTHING! I love reading your blog because it gives me a reminder about how hard that fight was and that we did it. I enjoy reading about the sweet things Jace says. He reminds me so much of my daughter. It is true that these cancer children are really something special.
ReplyDelete