
"Fear not, I am with you, oh be not dismayed,
For I am thy God, and will still give thee aid.
I'll strengthen thee, help thee, and cause thee to stand,
Upheld by my righteous omnipotent hand."
These words are running over and over in my mind. Thank you all so much for reminding me that faith and hope go hand in hand. You are right too-- I can't fear if I have faith. I'm going to hold onto this thought, and do my best not to fear.
We feel your prayers. Matt and I were commenting this morning about what good health we are both experiencing. Normally when we crawl out of bed at home, we are both aching and old.:) Here in the hospital, we are sleeping haphazardly and in even worse conditions-- we awake 25 times a night, yet in the mornings, we are revived and well. Only your prayers and pleas with heaven are making this possible. I know this for sure. I can't tell you how much we feel your love.
Okay, so now for the real reason you are reading this blog: Jace.
He is also doing well under the circumstances. He is weak, but happy. He actually ordered olives for breakfast (apparently Chemo patients sometimes crave salt). He isn't nauseated today, and he is enjoying many of the gifts you have brought here and sent here. He is smiling and teasing his favorite nurses and doctors who have fallen in love with him. They have taught him how to squirt water from a syringe, play volleyball with balloons, and operate and place a *port* on a *hospital buddy.* He is far from his spunky self, but he is ok.
This morning he cried to come home. He misses everyone so much. We tell him we will be there soon, but he doesn't realize "home" is going to mean something much different than it did a week ago. It's hard to believe this life education in sorrow and fear-- hope and faith-- started only FOUR days ago.
I have focused on hope today. It is making a difference paired with the faith you all helped me add. So, for the evening, it's hope and faith, and apparently for dinner we are ordering more olives.:)

Dear Leatham Family,
ReplyDeleteI came across your blog from a friends and while I was reading it this new post appeared. I just wanted you to know you have a very handsome and what sounds like a very tough and VERY loved little guy who will also be in my and my family's prayers. Jace sounds (and looks like) he is such a special kid. Good luck and know we are thinking of you and your boys. -Michelle (Summers) Ashton- (Brigit Summers' little sister!)
hi leatham's
ReplyDeleteyou won't know me, i am anelyse swenson's nana and i live in california. when christy (anelyse's mom) called me and asked if i would call the los angeles temple and put jace's name on the prayer roll i was happy to do so. and then i asked her if she would forward your blog address to me. i am in nursing school and when i am finished with nursing school i want to work in the oncology ward. my clinical days now are spent in pediatrics so i have strongly been considering pediatric oncology. i am anxious to follow jace's plan of treatment and his 'success' with his fight against leukemia! not only will my thoughts and prayers be with all of your family but with the doctors and nurses treating jace. i look forward to learning along with you what there is to know about this disease. the one thing i already know for sure is that having the gospel in your life will make this trial much easier. stay strong jace, anelyse has told me all about you and you sound like a great little guy! kathy swenson
Hi Jace,
ReplyDeleteYou don't know me, however, I know your adorable mom. She use to babysit my kids when they were your age. We love her dearly. I know you are in good hands.
Looking at your picture I can see your uncles in you. Luke and Hank are the same age as my boys and I can just imagine that you can handle anything that comes your way. You hang in there and know that there are lots of people all over who are praying for you and who have hope and faith that you will make it through this crazy ordeal and be back to your big brother, football, cousins and everything else you love.
Hugs and kisses from all of us in Ohio.
Love, Darla
Dear Leathams,
ReplyDeleteWe are new to Rexburg and heard about Jace from friends at the University. Just wanted to give you a bit of encouragement and an offer to talk anytime. Our son Ryan developed ALL at age 8, and we went through the experience with Primary Children's which you are having. They are marvelous people there, and medically the best. Ryan is now 6'3" and 18 years old. We would never wish this experience on anyone, but something about it has made Ryan into a unique and wonderful young man. There are some tough times ahead, but also some wonderfully close family experiences.
Contact us anytime you need to vent - andybmt@yahoo.com.
You are in our thoughts and prayers,
andy and becky bradbury
aweee yeah jace!! those muscles!! a definite grover!!! people better watch out cuz there is a grover in the house!!
ReplyDeletelove you!!!!
sup dogg!!! hey this is not my mother as you can tell its parker hey man just wanna let you know your a stud!!! i heard that you had xbox and i dont know if its #^) or just old xbox so you should tell your mom to tell my mom so she can tell me ha cuz wichever one it is i have a game or two that i wanna send you since your an official gamer!!!! good luck man your a stud!! make sure you tell them so i can get you your games!
ReplyDeletesincerely, Parker Anderson!
i ment 360 sorry
ReplyDeleteJace,
ReplyDeleteI love your muscle picture. You gotta be the toughest kid I know.
Hi Leathams - You don't know me, but I've commented once before...
ReplyDeleteI had Jace's name put on the prayer roll at the Boise temple today...
I'm glad his chemo hasn't made him sick! Lets hope it stays that way!
Matt & Amy - Your faith amazes me. I'm not sure I could do what you're doing. Jace was blessed with you as his parents because of your strength and faith. Heavenly Father knew of this trial for Jace and hand-picked you as his parents to hold his hand. Take care of yourselves as well as Jace... you're no good to him if you're not taken care of as well.
My love and prayers to you all...
Hey Iron Man, you handsome little devil you...we are glad to see you smiling, (and flexing those monsterous muscles)!:O) Have a good night, eat LOTS and LOTS of olives and get lots of sleep so you can get better and come home soon! Rexburg's not the same without you! We love you,
ReplyDelete-Travis, Andrea, Lexie, Jaden and Chloe Schwab
Everyone has adversity. But it's how you handle it that tells others, and yourself, who you really are. How do we know and enjoy the good, without the bad? I can't remember who said this, but I love it, "I have not yet begun to fight". Jace has soooooooo much love and support from family and friends. It's been happy/crazy to see all the messages for him on here. He is getting ready to begin the "big fight", and HE WILL WIN IT!!!! With faith, anything is posible!! And there seems to be a TON of it around him and your little family!!
ReplyDeleteYou're family is in our thoughts and hearts,
James, Jennifer, Daegon, Cheyenne, Hunter, and Quaid Chambers
Hey Jace... Here is a joke for you...
ReplyDeleteHow do you make a one armed man fall out of a tree?
You wave to him!
We hope you feel better soon. We miss you and can't wait to see you.
See you soon Iron Man
Love Devan and Davis Berry
Amy, I'm assuming from Parker's post he did not learn english from you because I know you teach a lot better than that!:) Typical teenager I guess. We are so happy to hear Jace is handling the chemo like a man! We too have hope and faith he will continue to be tough and over come this battle. He is a very special young man that has many many people rooting him on! Thank you for keeping us updated. Lots of love and prayers for you, Leon, Marilyn and boys.
ReplyDeleteHello Leatham family,
ReplyDeleteat times I am so grateful for Facebook and Blogs. This is one of those times. Otherwise I would have no idea about your sweet Jace..I shed many tears reading your posts thinking about how strong and brave Jace is and couldn't help but think about our own 6 old and realizing how your heart must be breaking each time you have to watch him suffer.
I admire your strength and ability to keep this blog updated. What a blessing for your family and friends who want to be kept up to date with his progress. Hang in there. Cam and I's thoughts and prayers are with you.
I know I have already posted this, and I know Matt and Amy are going to kick my trash but, If any of you would like to donate to the Leatham Family, donations are being taken at Beehive Federal Credit Union in Rexburg or Idaho Falls. The account is under the Jace Leatham Fund #33306. You can mail a check, send a money order or just stop in! We love you Iron Man Jace! Keep fighting! Keep flexing those guns!
ReplyDeleteHAHAHA..... I love you Jacer buddy! Those big muscles are the tough dude I know!! :D Stay strong..... I am going to send another BIG hug with my mom and grandma tom!! You better send another one home to me!! :) I love you buddy...... Call me soon K???
ReplyDeleteKort
Matt and Amy - was in the temple working in the office this morning (Tuesday, Sep 15) and 3 different people called and put your names on the prayer roll. And who knows how many came in and wrote your names down in other places. Thought you would like to know that. Our prayers are with you. Take care of yourselves. Webster family
ReplyDeleteHi Jace,
ReplyDeleteI am running in a special race for Cancer on Saturday, and I was wondering if I could wear a shirt with your name on it. I want to run the race for you, because we love you so much! Your such and amazing guy! I love how you are always so full of energy when we see you at family parties. Youre a lot tougher than Ill ever be buddy!
Take care!
Liz Orr
You are in big trouble Luke and Em. We love everyone's support, but you don't have to donate money.
ReplyDeleteThank you everyone,
Matt
(Luke and Em, you know I love you.)
Niki was right!!!! Matt please let people help! They are going to anyway! Brent's bringing your computer along with some treats from Garrett,Brittany, Nakeaden and Axton. I'm sure you have felt like a woman without her purse not having your computer. You are in our hearts and prays. Amy thanks for the blogs. I hope you know how much they help all of us who can't be with you! Jace keep those muscles pumped up. Hayden keep up the good work holding down the home front!
ReplyDelete* . (\*** /) * . * .
* (\(_) / ) * Keep Smiling
* * . (_/ ll \_) . * Maureen
* . /___\* .. *
matt and family, long time no see. this is Rulin Park, I just want to write a small note and tell you that all our prayers are with you and your family. I am sure that Heavenly Father will be with you all thoughout all of this. We are always in his hands. If ther is anything that we can help with or that you need if i can help my old pipe moving buddy let me know. Rulin
ReplyDeleteSorry my angel got messed up. I'll try again but if she gets messed up again just know that you have more angel watching you than just my messed up one.
ReplyDelete* (\*** /) * . * .
* (\(_) / ) * Keep Smiling
*(_/ ll \_) . * .Maureen
*. /___\* .. *
Jace! Just so you know olives are my favorite things ever!!! I hope you are feeling better and I'm sure those olives are helping!! I am having something special made for you and I can't wait to show you when I see you!! Keep showin off those muscles Iron Man!!!
ReplyDeleteMrs. Leatham, you are such a strong mom and like one of the earlier posts said Heavenly Father did send Jace to you for a reason!! Well the school isn't the same without you! :) Miss you tons!!
Matt, you probably don't know me but my little brother is on your team with Hayden and I know they miss you! :)
You guys are in my thoughts and prayers! Thanks so much for keeping the blog updated! I check it 5 or more times a day to see how everything is going! :) Get some rest and take care of yourselves!! Have Faith!! :) He's always near!!
~Chelsea Christensen
Jace,
ReplyDeleteWhen I went through Chemo I craved movie theatre popcorn, lemonade (keeps the pukes at bay), bacon and Olive Garden breadsticks. Now that I read you crave olives...it makes PERFECT sense. At least you can have fun with them putting them on your fingers.
Matt & Amy Jace and Hayden
ReplyDeleteThinking about you often please know you are in our thoughts and prayers. Matt Mitch wanted me to tell you to not to worry about telling everyone they dont need to donate money. First your wasteing your breath and second in times like these thats the only thing some people feel they can do. Belive us your freinds come out of the woodwork in times like these. Eighteen months ago we do believe you was first in line to help us out. Please if there is anything you need don't hesitate to ask. I will email you later on a more personal level. Our love to all of you keep your heads up. Mitch & Karla
Matt and Amy
ReplyDeleteI started reading Jace's blog as soon as I found out what was going on. I wanted to write sooner but did not know what to say. I want you to know that you are in our prayers and thoughts everyday. Everyone is talking about how and what we can do to help your darling little boy. Please remember you are loved. While many of us do not know Jace on a personal level he has touched many lives already and we want to do what we can to help all of you. I was once told by a cousin of mine, her daughter was diagnosed with leukemia at age 4 she is 6 now and in remission, that God will only take you to it if HE can take you through it. Jace is a strong little guy and will get though this. Both of you have demonstrated tremendous strengh and courage already and he is blessed to have such loving parents.
Ludy(Mendoza)Navarrete and family