Two hours ago Matt suggested I put the computer away. Jace fell asleep at 9 PM!! (a record for our stay here), and we were more than ready to sleep. I was catching up on the comments from the day, and as soon as I finished I closed my laptop, put my phone on silent, and rested my head on the pillow.
But...tonight I have the chair by Jace's bed. Last night Matt took this shift. We've decided at least one of us needs to try to be rested in order to be strong the next day. Our dear friend brought in an itty, bitty air matress that barely fits behind the rocking chair on the floor, so we've traded nights on it. (Don't tell on us though. We're pretty sure it's not allowed. We were told that only one parent can stay with the child, but for "a first time diagnosis family," they bend the rules...).
Having the chair by the bed means it's hard to sleep, because all I can do is look at Jace. His precious face is illuminated by the permanent nightlight in the room, and he's restless. He's tossing and turning, and even in sleep you can tell he doesn't feel well. Then my thoughts drift to wondering how I might be responsible for his current health. PLEASE don't send me comments like, "Don't beat yourself up," and "It's not your fault." My brain knows that, but you have to cut me a little slack as a mom-- because I'm going to wonder in my heart. I guarantee you would too. When you hear cancer buzz words like genetics and DNA it's hard not to. I also try to see into the future a bit and imagine my Jace as a 6'3" dimple-faced, 18 year old. I'm envisioning the largest party you've ever attended. From west to east coasts, you'd all be invited to celebrate our victory...and maybe not just ours. Maybe we could celebrate for everyone who has ever fought for their lives against this raging monster called cancer that attacks families and homes and communities.
In addition to watching Jace, I'm sitting here wondering from where you all came. Matt and I have heard what you are doing, and we just can't believe your efforts. From praying -- to organizing a dinner-- to setting up a donation account-- cleaning our house-- moving furniture to clean carpets-- running 5Ks in Jace's name-- and creating hand-made bracelets that say Ironman... we honestly just shake our heads in amazement of why we are so fortunate to have the support we have. Honestly, Matt and I don't deserve it-- but I know the real reason you are doing it. It's because you see what we see when we look into Jace's eyes. Thanks again everyone. We really do love you all. 'Night.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
See how many people love you Jace, I can't even count that high. For sure we will have a huge party!! Amy we love you guys and that is what family and friends do is rally around each other when one of their own is sick. They help each other out and would do anything for them. Be tough Ironman. Hope to see you soon!!! Love Shawn, Melissa, Lish and Ky
ReplyDeleteCan I come for the celebration as well. I'll represent the good old Georgia South!
ReplyDeleteI don't know that I've ever officially met Jace but he is a very good looking kid. He looks just like I remember Hank looking as a little boy.
Hang in there big guy! My best friend just finished up cancer treatments a year ago and is doing really well now.
You are in our family's prayers!
Love, Brittney(Powell)Cheek and fam
Here we are this morning checking in. I came out this morning to look and Nakeaden was right behind me. Mom, do they have any new pictures. We are addicted to you guys!!!Brent is coming down this morning. We had to send a little suprise with him. Good luck today Jace, Nichole said she saw you yesterday and you are still as cute as ever. So we are glad to hear you are happy, and smiling. Let us know if you need anything, maybe more olives!!!
ReplyDeleteLove,
Garrett, Britt, Nakeaden & Axton
Hey Jace
ReplyDeleteIt's Jaxson Hodges! I just wanted to say Hang in there and stay strong!
Here's joke for you...
What happens when a duck flies upside down?
He QUACKS UP!! :) hahaha
Love
Jaxson
As I sat and read your story I couldn't help but to cry . . . I don't know if you remember but we were both pregnant in the good old Ririe League Basketball days:) . . . you with Jace and me with Spencer. My heart was pained as I thought of our rolls switched as Spencer is 6 as well. I wanted to share a scripture that has always given me comfort as I have faced trials in my life, D&C 101:16 " . . . for all flesh is in mine hands; be still and know that I am God." Thank you for your courage, even if you don't feel it, I can see it as I've read. Please know that you will be in our prayers. And to Jace, you were really little the last time I saw you but, I can tell just by your picture that you must be a lot like your dad, and uncles, your gonna bet this thing! Go Ironman!
ReplyDeleteLove and Prayers,
Ben and Stevie Young
I don't know if anyone has posted this or not it is hard to keep up!! :) On October 10th there is going to be a 5k Fun Run/Walk and half of the proceeds will be donated to the Leatham family. The other half will be going to another family whose husband is having his own bout with cancer. It would be awesome to have a great turn out!!! You get a t-shirt and jamba!! This is perfect for all those who want to help...here is a great opportunity to do so! Check it out at www.payitforwardfunrun.com. Charity Kunz
ReplyDeleteJace,
ReplyDeleteJacob says hello. As we've talked about you, Jacob has said many times, "Jace really is an ironman." I'll be in SLC on Tuesday and I'm planning on stopping by, Jacob is working on something special (I don't know what it is) that he wants me to bring to you. Hannah is still working up the courage to talk to Hayden and tell him she's praying for you. After all those games together you'd think Hannah wouldn't be so shy, after all they're in the same class, but she is. It makes me think of all the hundreds of other people who are thinking of you, but may be too shy to say something or just don't know what to say. You sure are loved. We're excited to hear about this race, we'll be running. And if we can find some of this wrist bands, we'll be wearing those too. Be strong buddy. See you next week!
Chris
WOW Jace looking at your muscles I can see you are one tough guy!! Keep being tough!!
ReplyDeleteAmy I feel like I have to check in each day to see how you and your family are doing. As a mom my heart aches for what you and Matt are going through but I also am so impressed with your faith. This truly is a wonderful community that comes together when someone is in need, let everyone help you. I won't leave you any comments about "beating yourself up" all I will say is I can understand and can see why you would think that way. Please take care and you and Matt try to get some sleep. Got olives?
Jace - What an incredible inspiration you are to everyone. I cannot help but login first thing in the morning to check your progress. Reading about you is more addicting than TV. I admire your strength and courage. You are a tue IRONMAN!! Hang tough!
ReplyDeleteMatt and Amy - I pray for you and your family that He will continue to give you the strength and hope to endure this experience. The two of you are absolutely amazing.
Amy he is so lucky to have you for his mom! What more could you ask for in a time like this, than to have the people who love you most right next to you at each moment. He is one tough little guy and has the cutest smile!
ReplyDeleteJace, we all get our own Goliath sized trials here on earth. I guess this means you must be as strong and special as David. *wink* Remember that when everything feels as big as a giant. I went to school with your mom and I have a little boy exactly your age. He's praying for you too. His name is Taylor.
ReplyDeleteAmy, you too are a David. Repeatedly we are told that each of us will have our own Abrahamic trial to endure. Many times it is as much (if not more) for those around you as for you. The faith and prayers of others on your behalf is amazing isn't it?! So many lives are being touched by your and Jace's Goliath and your willingness to share. This is another reason you are a David because you're sharing not just your success, and in return you have an entire team of supporters cheering you on. Hang on to that when the shadow of the trial overwhelms you, those extra hands and prayers are what pull you through those darkest moments.
Hugs,
Holly
As Jace's principal, I have noticed how all the kids in the school want to help Jace. They don't understand cancer, but they do comprehend being sick, and they know Jace is very ill. We are too far out in the country to participate in Madison's homecoming events, so we decided to have a homecoming for Jace. Tomorrow morning, Thursday, September 17, at 8:30 in the morning, we are going to have a pep rally for Jace.
ReplyDeleteTami Clements came to me with the idea and it has grown like a huge snowball. The cheerleaders from the high school are coming out to lead the kids in some cheers for Jace. We are making posters and banners around the school. One of the cheerleaders, Jasmine Taylor, is a leukemia survivor herself. She is taking special interest in this event. We have asked all the kids to wear red (our school color).
We are going to video tape the rally and send it to you. We cannot visit Jace in person, but through technology we can find some truly amazing ways to share our love.
Personally, I thank you for taking time to create this blog. I know after spending most of the summer in the hospital myself that writing takes a tremendous amount of energy. It was so tempting to just turn over, close my eyes, and try to hide or escape through sleep. But, we eventually wake up and fight again the next day. I admire the strength of your entire family.
We have notified the local TV stations and newspapers. They are excited about covering this amazing story. Just by telling your story you have made all of us better people. I thank you for your strength, your courage and your example.
I am a complete stranger to your family but not to watching my child suffer. To Matt and Amy, my heart hurts for you. It is incredibly brutal to be thrust into a world that you know really nothing about that requires pain for your child. Our situations are entirely different, but once you spend "real" time at Primary's (a sacred place to me) you feel a part of all those who do also. I'm sure this is such a bittersweet time in your life where pain and suffering coexist with gratitude and love that produces feelings almost impossible to describe. Amy I was really touched by a comment you made about how it hurt to be the mom right now, but you wouldn't trade it for anything. I hope and pray that time will help with this adjustment in your lives and that you will both have the strength to endure this long journey. I'll be thinking about Jace and know that he can fight this! One of our Down syndrome buddies just went into remission after battling cancer this past year. I ran into him two days ago and can't believe that he is back to completely looking like himself. You would never know that he went through all that he did by looking at him. It was fun to see him running and playing like all the other kids.
ReplyDeleteWith love,
Lisa Cheney
Hey there buddy. Just wanted to let you know how much we look up to you. You sure are a tough young man. You are lucky to have such wonderful parents that love you so much. Your Heavenly Father loves you too. You are in our thoughts and prayers. Your family continues to be a great example to us. We love you.
ReplyDelete-Jared and Katie Fisher
Matt and Amy, I posted a picture of Jace on my blog (www.rexburgschwabs.blogspot.com) advertising for the "pay it forward fun run" that some friends of mine are putting together. If you prefer I didn't use his picture just let me know. Keep the faith and the hope! Lots of love, Andrea
ReplyDeleteI just checked in to see how the "iron man" was doing! Thanks again for keeping us updated! You are in my thoughts and prayers constantly! Keep fighting Jace! We will be fighting for you here! I too will be wearing a wristband (thanks to uncle Luke!) and running for you!! Matt and Amy, you amaze me. One of Jarred's favorite quotes is "Act, don't react!" You have chosen to "act" instead of reacting to this trial! You both have jumped in with both feet instead of laying down! Thanks for your example!
ReplyDeleteTo all of you who post! Thank You! I am uplifted daily and amazed at the good people we are surrounded by! We are so blessed!
Lots of Love,
Jesser
Amy,
ReplyDeleteJordyn is sad that her friend is at Primary's a place we know well, and love. She said to tell Jace that they take good care of you there. The kids at school and Linda's are sharing stories, Jace you are a funny boy! As a Mom who has sat by a child at Primary's I feel your pain, it is a pain that you never will understand until you are there. Hope does become your word, and we will all hope with you. We love you, Taunya and Jordyn Hansen
Jace - this was left on our Madison Flag Football Blog for you....
ReplyDeleteDear,Jace
We hope you feel better soon. Hang in there buddy. Please let us know if you need anything.
We love you lots Ramon,Dori,Jesse and Rayden
Amy-
ReplyDeleteYour blog is amazing. Jace is so adorable and is so lucky to have such good supportive parents. Good luck to you and your family! I will keep looking for updates and we will keep you guys in our prayers!
Just so you know, Ashley works at Primary Childrens. She is going to come visit you guys while shes working one of these times. Let us know if there is anything we can do down here. We both live in the Salt Lake area so if you even need a place to stay you can ask us.
Love,
Jaimee Griffith (allen)
Hey Jace You do not even know us. We heard about you in Flag Football and wish you were there to play against the Chargers Team. We live in Sugar City and we heard about you and we are thinking of you and praying for you and your family. You are the cutest little boy I don't even know you and I love you to pieces. I have two little boys 9 and 5 and can't imagine what it would be like. We check on you every day and love you guys to pieces. Love the Hansen's in Sugar City
ReplyDeleteHey coach! WHat a cute mom you are and always have been. I am a nurse up here at PCMC and have been for a little over a year. I work in the float pool and made my way up to ICS a while ago. I saw Leatham and thought it couldn't be..then I came across your blog through Kenzies and sure enough..what a surprise. You have the most adorable family and your boys are two of the cutest I know. One of these days if I am working up there I'll come say hi to your cute little champ..best of luck to you!! you are a great example..let me know if you need anything while you are here.
ReplyDeleteHey there Mrs. Leatham. I just wanted to let you know that you and your family are in my thoughts and prayers. You are an amazing lady, and I truly appreciate all you do. This blog is really neat. It's incredible how strong you can feel the spirit just by reading it. wow. Your little Jace is a fighter, he is so strong. I love you guys so much. I miss seeing you at school. You're definitely one of my heroes. Keep praying, and having hope. I will always keep your family in my prayers.
ReplyDeleteWith much love,
Karli Egbert
Matt and AMy,
ReplyDeleteWe are so sorry to hear about Jace! We were driving to Logan on Friday and you guys passed us on the freeway. We figured you were headed to Salt Lake with your family...we didn't realize what it was for! Your blog is such a strength! you are in our prayers! (This is Nichole and Brittany's cousin, Tiffany.) Keep up the wonderful faith!
Leatham family-
ReplyDelete2 weeks ago I volunteered at Hibbard on the first official pacer day. To first graders, it was a bit confusing and exciting all at the same time. As I was handing out tokens, I saw Jace, he caught my eye as if he were the only student out on the playground at lunch recess. As I saw him, I was thinking about how much older he seemed that any other 6 year old. Kind of like his older brother. I had the awesome privilge of being one of Hayden's scout leaders, and he was always such a good example and leader. I couldnt help but watch Jace for a moment and think about how strong he was. I'm not sure why that thought crossed my mind then, but now I am. What an amazing little boy he is. I'm sorry that a personal lesson in life to me has to come at the expense of someone so little and innocent, but I thank you for sharing your story with us. And Jace, I hope you keep beating your Grandpa Leatham at Uno!
Hi guys,
ReplyDeleteAmy, thank you so much for the blogg, it helps us all to know how jace is doing and as we read..and cry...and smile we feel like we can help in some small way as we send our love and prayers to you all.
The girls have been busy making bracelets for everyone, it is amazing how many people want to be part of the "ironmanjace" club!!
We are so sorry you are living every parents nightmare...it has been said that "faith proceeds the miracle" please know that you are surounded by the faith and prayers of so many, and that the miracles will come.
Jace,
Sometimes Heros come in small packages and you are our little Hero! Be brave, be strong and know that Heavely Father does send angles to help us when it gets too hard for us to do it on our own. sometimes they are our family and our friends, sometimes they are total strangers and sometimes they are those angels we can not see but we know they are there to help us.
All our love and prayers,
Uncle Mitch and Aunt Darla
I have struggled to blink back tears since my dad called last weekend and told me about Jace. As I've gone through the week my thoughts have turned to him and your family many times, I've offered so many prayers and I always have to keep blinking back those tears. Reading your blog today, I couldn't have blinked them back for the life of me. My heart just aches for all of you. What an incredible trial to go through. Although I haven't ever been in a situation like this, as you describe the pain and turmoil, I feel that hurt for you. I know there is not much more I can offer to help other than those prayers, but maybe too I can just take some of the hurt so you don't have to feel it all. You all are amazing! Thank goodness for an Ironman with the spunk, strength and personality to bear this. Jace- I am in awe of the spirit you possess.
ReplyDeleteMy prayers and thoughts will continue to be with you all.
Annie Meyers Allen
Hi Jace!!! How is my baseball buddy? This is Joe Lundin. I hope we are on the same team again when you get better--we probably will be. You are a super fast runner and a good batter. Even though you were only in kindergarten, you are a super good player. I hope you get better soon. I am praying for you. See ya soon, Joe Lundin
ReplyDeleteMatt and Amy,
ReplyDeleteWhat an amazing family! Please know that you and your entire family are in our thoughts and prayers.
Brigit (Summers ) Robinson
Hi Jace, Amy, Matt, Randall, Joanne, Wayne, & Vickie. We all love you so much and are praying for you in our family and individual prayers. Jace, Allison said she loved the picture of you running around all those baseball bases. Joseph just loved playing with you, and I know you were one of his favorite baseball team players. You were so fast at running around the bases, and we know what a strong batter you are too. Just remember how STRONG you are in Heavenly Father's eyes. He loves you so much, Jace, and I know he loves all your parents and grandparents too. They are such wonderful people. Amy, I sure love you, and by the way, you look beautiful in red!!! I am crying with you, and I hope you feel my hug clear over in Salt Lake. I saw Hayden 2 days ago, and he is trying to keep that smile on his face. Jace, you are so strong--on the baseball field and as "ironman" Jace. All of us 10 Lundins love you and are praying for you!! Love, Julie & Kent
ReplyDeleteHi Jace, how are you doing? You probobly don't know who I am, I'm joseph lundin's big sister. I watch your baseball games you look like you are having a good time.Joseph wishes you were playing foot ball,with him. get well soon
ReplyDeletesee ya, allison lundin
We are going to use Jace's picture on this blog to display at the assembly tomorrow. I hope that is okay. It was great to walk into all the classes and see all the students making posters for the event tomorrow. We have all been wanting to do something and this is something positive that we can do that involves the whole school. You are such a great example to all of us. Thanks for keeping us updated.
ReplyDeleteJace- I miss your smiling face everytime I go into Mrs. Crowder's room. You are missed very much here at Hibbard by all!
Jace!!! I just saw you on TV buddy!! :D You are one good looking lil guy!! Keep being tuff..... I can't wait to see you guys!! And obviously we need to take a new pic... cause I want a picture with the best ironman I know!! :D I love you! Tell the family hi! And keep beating gramps.... good job on that one!! Do you remember we were playing sorry and had made a bet that I had to drink a glass of lemon juice if I lost..... and you beat me?!?!? haha.... I just thought of that!! YUCK! I still remember that!! :D I think i want a rematch!!! can't wait to see you!! When you get back to Rexburg we are going to party it up punk!! Love you!
ReplyDeleteKort
Hey Jace! this is all the kids from daycare! we all miss you and hope you the best!Hope you get feeling better soon!
ReplyDeleteLove
jc & the Hope family
hey amy- my sister (Sarah Williams) passed your blog link onto me and i just wanted to let you know your in my thoughts and prayers and i'm amazed at your strength and faith through all this. jace is so tough!! thanks for sharing your story.
ReplyDeletegenevieve (hansen) curtis
hiy Jace haw are you feiing i love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love.Love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love lo0ve love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love lov love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love lovr love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love lovre love lovelove love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love mrs hos side to me tele jace get wel. I love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love. bey.SKYELAR.PETERSEN.
ReplyDeletebey. prerd. on tv bey. sky
ReplyDeleteI dont have anything really inspirational to say, and i have never met your wonderful family. Just know that you are in my prayers. You are all so brave and strong.
ReplyDeleteHey man my name is Zander and I hope you are feeling better today! Just thought i'd let you know that I came across this blog, and ironically am leaving to the MTC soon to head of on my mission at Ecuador. Therefore I will definately keep you in my prayers, and so will other Elders. Also remember this: The Lord is mindful of you, he has a plan for you, and he loves you with all his heart.
ReplyDelete-Z
Hi Jace,
ReplyDeleteMrs. Crowder said I can sit in your chair at school sometimes because I miss you. I'm saving your seat for you. I think you are really brave. I hope you get better soon. We are having a pep rally for you tomorrow. I hope you will like watching it. Be strong!
Love, Josten
Hi Leathams,
ReplyDeleteWe just wanted to tell you thank you for the time you spend keeping up the blog for Jace. It is really nice to keep up on how he is doing, because you are in our thoughts a lot! We admire your strength and pray it will continue to see you through this. We are rooting for you. Keep fighting hard Jace. How lucky you are to have such a great family to support you through this. Lots of love, The Judkins