Monday, September 21, 2009

"Look Up"

Matt had the pick-up pulled out of the garage and neatly packed for the trip today as I scurried out the door with last minute items I forgot to pack: mug of ice water (check), Nerf gun (check), hand sanitizer (check)...and Jace was cuddled into the back seat waiting for me. As I approached the door, he rolled down his window and excitedly said, "Mom, look up." I tilted my head to view a star filled sky, and I had to catch my breath. "Look at all the stars!"

We had an amazing weekend, with Jace perking up Sunday to almost his usual self. The food of the day was spaghetti-- in large quantities I may add. We had a quiet morning, and we took shifts to attend church. The few visitors we greeted in our home made Jace smile and play: Uno, Apples to Apples for kids, and more Uno. I was quite emotional packing for this trip, because I don't know what to expect. What to pack? How long will we stay? Is Hayden ok staying behind? Plus, while Jace was watching us prepare we went through his questions of: Is it going to hurt when they access my port? Why can't I eat after midnight? Can we take some macaroni and cheese and fix it at the hospital after my surgery? (Today he will have another Lumbar Puncture and a Bone Marrow Biopsy.)


When most of the guests were gone and the house settled, Jace needed Matt to hold him on the couch. Even though he had a good weekend, Jace was nervous for what the morning would bring. At 4 AM our house started to stir, and we were out the door by 4:30.

It's peculiar to me how Jace always says the right thing at the right time, and this morning was no exception. With his sweet spirit he calmed my nerves and gave me simple but powerful advice...and just when I felt my anxiety level reach new heights from boarding the vehicle that was taking him back to a hospital, he reminded me to, "Look up." I breathed another prayer, looked up, and we were on our way.

10 comments:

  1. Good Luck!! We are thinking and praying for you all! You might need to borrow my license plate (dayxday)and email (itsdayxday). We haven't been through what you are going through but it does help to take it day by day, hour by hour, and sometimes even second by second. Brent & Maureen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jace,
    Thanks for making our weekend so much fun! The kids had a ball playing squirt syringes with you! Thanks for being such a great cousin and nephew! We can't wait to play again real soon! Don't worry I'll pop Jade's toes tonight for you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry that last comment was from Aunt Natalie! I'm signed in under Jade's account!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad that you were able to have a few days at home and Jace was able to enjoy some time with a few cousins and friends and you were able to rest. I'm praying for the best as you return to the hospital today!! We'll be thinking and praying for your today. Isn't it funny how children really do make us stop and look at the little things we would easily not see! "Look up" and I am sure that our Heavenly Father will be looking down and helping you through this!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Jace, I am so happy you were able to be home for the weekend. I loved reading about your weekend at home, and the things you are teaching your family. I talked to your dad at the football game. When I saw his face, I remembered all over again how much I love your family. I also saw your Uncle Luke (he is one of my favorite people because he is so nice). You have a great family!! Did you know your Grandpa Grover taught my son to love football?
    I think you have the greatest family!! Well Jace, I hope things go well in Salt Lake. We love you tough guy!! Love, Paige

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Leathams....Just wanted you to know we are still following Jace's progress. Sounds like you had a great weekend at home! We saw you on TV a few days ago and read about you in the paper. I think it is safe to say, that you are a very loved boy! Good luck in Salt Lake today. You are in our prayers!
    Love,
    Jeff & Hali Roderick
    Mataia, Morgan, Chad and Kace

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Jace Good luck today!! We check on you every day and think about you always! Our family was wondering where we can buy the Iron man Jace Braclets? If anyone knows please post. We love you and you are in our thoughts and prayers. The Hansen's from Sugar City

    ReplyDelete
  8. IRONMAN...Good luck today! I look forward to reading about you everyday. You are such an inspiration to everyone who reads about you. You have taught me so much....to take time for the little things. Give your mom and dad a hug for me. I am thinking about you and your family and praying for your speedy recovery!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey guys we just wanted to wish you good luck today. We will be thinking about you today, and hoping everything goes well. We know you will be back home before you know. Then maybe we will have to come visit. I have to tell you Jace the boys are pretty excited to see you everyday on the computer. Axton even said today when I was on the computer. Where Jace go. I had changed screens, and he wondered where you went. Stay tough today. We love you lots. Hug that mom and dad for us to.
    Love,
    Garrett, Britt, Nakeaden & Ax

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey Matt, Amy, Hayden and Jace: this is alaina (your mom's cousin, but Jace wouldn't remember me cuz you were just little when I met you at the Lee Reunion at your Gma Vicki's house.) Just want you to know that you are and have been in our thoughts and prayers as many others. I just want Jace to know that the port will be the best surgery he has ever had. When they take your blood or do anything through it, you won't feel it especially if they put the numbing cream or spray on it just a few minutes before they do anything. (My mother in law has one and it has been a life safer she is so grateful for it). Also just maybe Mr. Ironman you won't lose your hair because they told my mother in law that she was going to lose hers and she never lost a spec, but I do have to tell you that you will be the most handsome guy ever even if you do. That smile of yours melts anyone that looks at it. Amy thanks for making and keeping up with this blog, it really keeps alot of us informed and believe me, you wouldn't be able to return all the phone calls or emails. Its amazing how many people are pulling and praying for you all. Good luck and we love and care about you all.
    Love Travis, Alaina Sharp and family

    ReplyDelete